• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory FL discontinued? (2 Viewers)

I hope to find a late-model FL 8x32 one day.
Hello Foss,

I think the 8x32 is so good that their owners regard them as keepers.
Edit: I am certainly in no hurry to modernize but if I bought something, I still might not cell the FL.
Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Not for me. Unlike other binoculars like the above mentioned SLC or Ultravids, however, the FL 8x32 wants its eyecups pressed into the eye sockets, which I find rather comfy. No problems with vignetting or anything.
My Swaro CL 8x30 (a) eyecups press the same way with them extended out to the last click. Super solid eye placement. Full field of view with no edge issues.

My Swaro CL 8x30 (a) eyecups press the same way with them extended out to the last click. Super solid eye placement. Full field of view with no edge issues.
Those two bins seem to be similar in that respect, then. Everybody's facial features will always play a role here, naturally. See, what other people can say about eye placement.

Don’t have the 32’s but love the FL 10x42, it’s one of my favorite Zeiss binoculars, super sharp with pretty minimal edge distortion for a non flat field bin, especially when compared to some of their others.

When these came out, 2004? they were the best and just think how many they sold in the 32 and 42 formats over the years. With more competition today, it will be difficult to match those #s.

Did the 8x32 change much over the years, or optically will an older model perform on par with a newer pair (provided the internals are clear)?

Just checked that.... 8x32 not available, 10x32 showing as available with 'lettuce' coating on the lenses.... interesting!!!!!
This is positively bizarre. When I follow that link it shows me only 2 remaining of the 8x32 and I think if you go to the K&M Camera site you will find them listed there too. I have no connections to the seller btw.

This is positively bizarre. When I follow that link it shows me only 2 remaining of the 8x32 and I think if you go to the K&M Camera site you will find them listed there too. I have no connections to the seller btw.
But maybe you are getting a .uk site? Try to force it to use the US site or go to the K&M site.

Did the 8x32 change much over the years, or optically will an older model perform on par with a newer pair (provided the internals are clear)?
Unfortunately, for my situation, Zeiss had changed the coating at some late point. (I don't mean the Lotutec addition.) So since then, the coating has a reddish-orange shine that can irritate when illuminated from behind the observer. It's particularly a problem when wearing eyeglasses, I think. It is much more comfortable with the violet version they had before. I still hope to find a very good (only slightly used) model. Would not need Lotutec.

I hope to find a late-model FL 8x32 one day. Is eye placement finicky?
Eye placement is very forgiving I think, definitely up there with all the better ones I have had or tried.
I agree with Robert/Swissboy about the later coating. I did find that troublesome with my glasses on my pair of 8x32FL.
I previously owned the 10x32FL (I did look through my old pair a few days back) and did not have the same issues with that pair.
I did not have the same glasses back then.

Unless you really need the 10x magnification the 8x32 will work wonders for most people, wearing glasses or not.

Unless you really need the 10x magnification the 8x32 will work wonders for most people, wearing glasses or not.
Not quite!
As a farsighted wearer of glasses, I need at least a 16mm. EP. distance that is 8x32 is only 15.5mm. accordingly, I have to press the binoculars very hard against my eye glasses in order to be able to see the entire field of vision, so for me the FL is not completely suitable for glasses wearers.

Andreas

Not quite!
As a farsighted wearer of glasses, I need at least a 16mm. EP. distance that is 8x32 is only 15.5mm. accordingly, I have to press the binoculars very hard against my eye glasses in order to be able to see the entire field of vision, so for me the FL is not completely suitable for glasses wearers.

Andreas
Andreas please forgive me for suggesting something you have probably already considered. When you press the FLs very hard against your eye glasses you are of course not compressing the FL's eyecups or the lenses of your eye glasses. I am guessing you are pressing your eye glasses closer to your face. Is it possible that you could lift up your eyeglasses and move them 0.5mm up your nose so that they are already closer to your face and you would not need to press the FLs so hard against them?

Cheers Lee

My favorite binoculars 8x32 FL
Lightweight and compact with excellent detailing.
Excellent color reproduction and micro-contrast.
It is easy to observe in it, the picture does not tremble.
Another big plus, these binoculars are extremely durable. Such a thing can be inherited.

20191130_160100.jpg

OOfff, that's a nice spread.

I'm with Swissboy, do not care for the new red Zeiss coating, as I've now said ad nauseam here (sorry). Definitely prefer the older coating. It my case, to avoid color shift in overcast Seattle area conditions. However, I think the red coating contributes to the contrast pop of more recent Zeiss. I do like that.

My 8x42 old green FLs (from dries) have quietly become the one I'm reaching for these days. I just really like them.

OOfff, that's a nice spread.

I'm with Swissboy, do not care for the new red Zeiss coating, as I've now said ad nauseam here (sorry). Definitely prefer the older coating. It my case, to avoid color shift in overcast Seattle area conditions. However, I think the red coating contributes to the contrast pop of more recent Zeiss. I do like that.

My 8x42 old green FLs (from dries) have quietly become the one I'm reaching for these days. I just really like them.
Both my HT and Victory Pocket have reddish objective coatings, less blue purple than my Victory FL, but both seem completely colour neutral….the SF series must be quite different as they seem much warmer in comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back