• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory SF: Condensation on ocular lens (2 Viewers)

I think it's some kind of internal conflict he is having where he feels he must have the best, and everyone must know it. I think he is one of those for me to be a winner, everyone else must be a loser guys.

He really does spend more time running down other brands than discussing his own.

PT

You are dead right and Dennis has said as much on here.

He said he would have to sell any binoculars he owned that got a bad review because he 'he couldn't stand owning a loser'. My interpretation of this was that he would feel that he was a loser to be owning such an instrument. For myself, if I enjoy a particular binocular or car or guitar I really couldn't care less what reviewers say about it.

Lee

PT

You are dead right and Dennis has said as much on here.

He said he would have to sell any binoculars he owned that got a bad review because he 'he couldn't stand owning a loser'. My interpretation of this was that he would feel that he was a loser to be owning such an instrument. For myself, if I enjoy a particular binocular or car or guitar I really couldn't care less what reviewers say about it.

Lee

I hope he never gets in to fly rods, it would be a struggle to the end of times trying to decide "best".

Really is a shame that he spends more time disparaging other binocs than discussing the ones he likes. I would guess that he spends more time running down zeiss in the zeiss forum than he does in the swaro forum.

I hope he never gets in to fly rods, it would be a struggle to the end of times trying to decide "best".

Really is a shame that he spends more time disparaging other binocs than discussing the ones he likes. I would guess that he spends more time running down zeiss in the zeiss forum than he does in the swaro forum.

Indeed.

Never did get into fly fishing although my cousin is pretty good at it, but I really admire Trout, Salmon, Charr etc. They really are the most beautiful creatures. I use bins for watching fish too.

Lee

He couldn't get into them. It would be impossible for him. You really can't "pump and dump" them. You would have no time left for fishing.

Old collectable cane is different too. Some of them are off the scale. I had a wealthy old friend who owned over 50 Paynes, Dickersons, Leonards and other famous names. His widow owns them now and if she put them all on the market at the same time the bottom would drop out of it.

You know the saying: "If you know how many fly rods you have, you don't have enough!"

Bob

You wish it was a conspiracy. I had nothing against the SF but now I am beginning to wonder. We really a need a separate category to list all the problems it has developed.

Dennis

You will never know what problems it has, if any, because you don't have the guts to buy one and evaluate it yourself. Maybe somebody will "lend" you one?

The thing is I almost bought an SF and then I started reading here about all the problems. I put it off but I like to follow the Zeiss SF defect threads to see what else is going wrong. It seems like something new comes up every day from somebody different.

Strange. I've been using mine daily since December 2014 and apart from the eyecups, which were quickly replaced and incorrect objective lens covers in the box I've had no problems at all with the optics. This included two weeks recent holiday in the very wet and windy Isle of Skye. Likewise, those that I personally know and regularly meet in the field that have put theirs through the same level of usage have experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever. Maybe anyone being hesitant should take the plunge and if you do experience any issues then have them rectified under warranty. I think this continual and prolonged jabbering around issues of "defects" on the forum now risks being sensationalised to the point of being less than credible. Feedback on optics is useful, but sometimes it's drawn out to the Nth degree. Please......buy a pair and use them, and maybe then report back objectively. I have never regretted my purchase and I was one of those that took the risk and bought mine online and unseen when they first arrived in the UK.

Indeed.

Never did get into fly fishing although my cousin is pretty good at it, but I really admire Trout, Salmon, Charr etc. They really are the most beautiful creatures. I use bins for watching fish too.

Lee

I was never any good at it, but I enjoy the quiet time outdoors. Here in Texas it's not gurgling trout streams, but stock tanks and ponds full of crappie (croppy) blue gills and bass.

He couldn't get into them. It would be impossible for him. You really can't "pump and dump" them. You would have no time left for fishing.

Old collectable cane is different too. Some of them are off the scale. I had a wealthy old friend who owned over 50 Paynes, Dickersons, Leonards and other famous names. His widow owns them now and if she put them all on the market at the same time the bottom would drop out of it.

You know the saying: "If you know how many fly rods you have, you don't have enough!"

Bob

Only 2 here, a 5 wt Orvis and a 6 wt All Star. Both lower end, medium actions and both 10 years old. But the really nice rods, man are they are works of functional art.

The old cane rods only attracted my eye in the last few months. Lord there are some pretty ones.

Funny thing that happens with fly fishing. Pretty soon you learn how to really cast a fly. The rod assumes lesser importance at that point, assuming it's up to snuff to begin with. I have good friends who run a world class catch and release fly fishing operation. My friend is a certified, in multiple places, casting instructor and has fished all over the world. He has more fly rods than you can shake two sticks at. Sort of like folks here having more binoculars than you can look through in a week.

He uses Echo rods mostly and I bought one from him. He's a dealer.

Last edited:
Strange. I've been using mine daily since December 2014 and apart from the eyecups, which were quickly replaced and incorrect objective lens covers in the box I've had no problems at all with the optics. This included two weeks recent holiday in the very wet and windy Isle of Skye. Likewise, those that I personally know and regularly meet in the field that have put theirs through the same level of usage have experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever. Maybe anyone being hesitant should take the plunge and if you do experience any issues then have them rectified under warranty. I think this continual and prolonged jabbering around issues of "defects" on the forum now risks being sensationalised to the point of being less than credible. Feedback on optics is useful, but sometimes it's drawn out to the Nth degree. Please......buy a pair and use them, and maybe then report back objectively. I have never regretted my purchase and I was one of those that took the risk and bought mine online and unseen when they first arrived in the UK.

Andy
You are the voice of sanity.

Lee

Always thought that fly fishing was one of the most artistic endeavors extant.
That is speaking as someone who can admire a skill one does not possess.

Listen, and understand! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever.

Funny thing that happens with fly fishing. Pretty soon you learn how to really cast a fly. The rod assumes lesser importance at that point, assuming it's up to snuff to begin with. I have good friends who run a world class catch and release fly fishing operation. My friend is a certified, in multiple places, casting instructor and has fished all over the world. He has more fly rods than you can shake two sticks at. Sort of like folks here having more binoculars than you can look through in a week.

He uses Echo rods mostly and I bought one from him. He's a dealer.

A perfect metaphor. I went on a bird walk with the local audubon guide, she could tell what the bird was before the glass ever went to her eyes. She carried a pair of old Monarchs but rarely needed them.

No, I really think the Zeiss SF is probably optically a very good binocular. I follow these threads to see if Zeiss is getting their problems straightened out. I know Zeiss makes good optics. It is too bad the SF is having all these problems.

I've had more problems with Swaro than any other bin, using them professionally in a variety of challenging environments from one week to the next. The truth? I had to send my Swaro's back more times than I care to remember so much so that I decided to get the Zeiss victory FL, and you know the Austrians were missing something ! Now a happy owner of the SF doing an even better job.

It's no good coming on here with a clear agenda of the green machine, when in actual fact the guys in the field on a daily basis are finding the opposite to be true. Been using the SF with no problem, some strange niggles on here which drive me crazy i.e. stiff focusers, wtf! use it for a but and see what happens its not the scratchy nails down the blackboard that the swaro has even after constant use and wears in well. Fogging of the ocular? crikey I don't care to mention how many times my swaro fogged on one ocular, there are so many variables. Somebody dropped their SF's from a metre height and they broke?.....what a surprise!

I don't have any brand loyalty, I just pick the best tools for the job.

Come on chaps deal in reality, get a grip and go birding instead.

I've had more problems with Swaro than any other bin, using them professionally in a variety of challenging environments from one week to the next. The truth? I had to send my Swaro's back more times than I care to remember so much so that I decided to get the Zeiss victory FL, and you know the Austrians were missing something ! Now a happy owner of the SF doing an even better job.

It's no good coming on here with a clear agenda of the green machine, when in actual fact the guys in the field on a daily basis are finding the opposite to be true. Been using the SF with no problem, some strange niggles on here which drive me crazy i.e. stiff focusers, wtf! use it for a but and see what happens its not the scratchy nails down the blackboard that the swaro has even after constant use and wears in well. Fogging of the ocular? crikey I don't care to mention how many times my swaro fogged on one ocular, there are so many variables. Somebody dropped their SF's from a metre height and they broke?.....what a surprise!

I don't have any brand loyalty, I just pick the best tools for the job.

Come on chaps deal in reality, get a grip and go birding instead.

I'm right there with ya compadre.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back