• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam 2 species (1 Viewer)

Going through some old photos. These were taken in Feb. 2016 in Vietnam along the road between Dalat and Mui Ne in a protected area of forest. Highish elevation but not crazy high.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Tom

Attachments

• don't know 77k3.jpg
    don't know 77k3.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 56
  • don't know 87hk3.jpg
    don't know 87hk3.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 53
  • don't know 77s.jpg
    don't know 77s.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 50
  • don't know 873.jpg
    don't know 873.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 49
The Shikra matches up well with a Google search for it. Still working on the second set ;)

And I agree with DMW on the Great Iora as well.

I think the accipiter is a Shikra; and Great Iora
Agree with Shikra. I am not going to comment other bird, it’s not one I have any experience with having not been to East Asia (I don’t feel it is appropriate for me to suggest ID’s if I have never seen the actual bird!)

Last edited:
The raptor is quite blotchy, which makes me think more of besra than shikra. But the genus Accipiter is a dark art.

The raptor is quite blotchy, which makes me think more of besra than shikra. But the genus Accipiter is a dark art.
I disagree - it looks fine for an imm. Shikra to me.

Besra have a yellow orbital ring, longer, thinner, tarsi and a slightly shorter squarer tail cf to Shikra.

Note yellow orbital ring (Grey in the OP), the square tail and thin tarsi (cf the thick tarsi of the OP)

Also note the outer tail pattern

Last edited:
Besra have a yellow orbital ring, longer, thinner, tarsi and a slightly shorter squarer tail cf to Shikra.
In my opinion. none of these points except perhaps tail-tip shape could be safely distinguished in these images. But I shall take it as read that you disagree, hence no need to respond.

EDIT
The last 2 paras in the post above by Deb Burhinus were added 2 hrs after this response to it was posted.

Last edited:
I agree that the Accipiter is a Shikra - it looks too pale to be a Besra and the tail bars are too narrow. I also think the underpart pattern is wrong for Besra - the streaking on the breast looks too pale and extends too far onto the belly; this seems to fit better for a juvenile Shikra.
Useful. Thanks.

In my opinion. none of these points except perhaps tail-tip shape could be safely distinguished in these images. But I shall take it as read that you disagree, hence no need to respond.

EDIT
The last 2 paras in the post above by Deb Burhinus were added 2 hrs after this response to it was posted.
But it is still a valid feature as is the grey orbital ring and tail shape. The tarsi do look bulky to me too but accept that’s hard to judge.

Anyway, thank you John for confirming.

But it is still a valid feature as is the grey orbital ring and tail shape. The tarsi do look bulky to me too but accept that’s hard to judge.

Anyway, thank you John for confirming.
I agree that the tarsi look thicker and the tail is more rounded than on Besra. I didn't know these were features of Shikra until you pointed them out, but they seem like they could be useful so thank you for highlighting them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back