• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Viking ED Pro/ED-S binoculars (1 Viewer)

paddyluke

i'm considering purchasing a new pair of binoculars for bird/nature watching,any one got opinions about Viking ED Pro 8x42 or Viking ED-S 8x42,any opinions appreciated,thanks

JoeRawles

Feathers Wild Bird Care
Both models are being discontinued to my knowledge. The ED-S I thought had all gone; they were around £199 at their final sale price. Personally I'd have a Viking Kestrel ED over an ED-S so unless you can get an ED-S at a very cheap price I would look elsewhere. The ED Pro was Viking's flagship binocular, RRP was £599. Not sure what deals you can get on these if there is any stock left. The ED Pro was a very nice binocular but quite heavy. The ED-FF was a similar story - people were often put off by the weight.

paddyluke

Both models are being discontinued to my knowledge. The ED-S I thought had all gone; they were around £199 at their final sale price. Personally I'd have a Viking Kestrel ED over an ED-S so unless you can get an ED-S at a very cheap price I would look elsewhere. The ED Pro was Viking's flagship binocular, RRP was £599. Not sure what deals you can get on these if there is any stock left. The ED Pro was a very nice binocular but quite heavy. The ED-FF was a similar story - people were often put off by the weight.

i can get the ED-S for £149 and the PRO ED for £320

JoeRawles

Feathers Wild Bird Care
The ED Pro is a great binocular for that price IMO. I haven't seen it for a long time but from memory it was a very nice glass. That's a good price for the ED-S but personally I wouldn't buy one.

JoeRawles

Feathers Wild Bird Care
From memory, it was ergonomic but heavy. I've always liked the ergonomics of 'open-hinge' binoculars. It was some years ago that I used it so I'm a bit vague, but I know I liked it a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread