• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Village weaver / Ploceus cucullatus? from Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

hans-b

Same location but not same bird!

Thanks for your help
Hans

www.boeckler.name

Attachments

• 077343.jpg
    077343.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 077375.jpg
    077375.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 17
  • 077376.jpg
    077376.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Muppit17

I will say a Ethiopian Siskin -Serinus nigriceps
I am not seeing why this would be an Ethiopian Siskin, and furthermore I can't see why this Highland species would be found at Aksum.
Of course there are plenty of very similar serinus species. It reminds me most of African Citril but I haven't checked all the local possibilities yet

dwatsonbirder

Looks fine for Southern citril to me (large dark centres to median coverts, flank streaking, poorly defined super, greyish lores/face) though as I didn't visit Tigray I'm unsure of the other possibilities in the area.

mummymonkey

Supporter
United Kingdom
Showing my age here but when did S. citrinelloides get re-named and split? Looks like I need a new finch book!

MacNara

Japan
Showing my age here but when did S. citrinelloides get re-named and split? Looks like I need a new finch book!

It's more than that - on researching this, it appears that these species are now in a new genus - Crithagra.

And African Citril now appears to be three species - African, Southern and Western.

There are only eight species left in Serinus.

I also think the birds look OK for female African Citril, C. citrinielloides, and I think the location is OK also (Southern is farther south).

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread