• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Marantz PMD 660 for recordings? (1 Viewer)

metalheart

United States
Hello, long time birder with an interest in bird recordings. I have an older Marantz PMD660 that I used to use in my professional life. With an appropriate microphone, would this be yield good quality recordings compared to some of the newer hand held recorders like those from Tascam or Zoom? Thanks!

So the PMD660 records wav files in 16 bit, up to 48KHz, which is slightly higher than audio CD quality (16 bit 44.1KHz). With an appropriate mic, I can't see why you would not be able to get some good quality recordings.

Obviously with this device you won't have the advantage to 32bit float, which is becoming popular and means you don't have to really worry about gain control or clipping.

A lot of people record a 24bit, but generally the noise floor of 16 bit will be exceeded by environmental noise, so I think people tend to record at higher rates because memory is cheap and they can - rather than there being a marked quality improvement. Same goes for higher sampling rates.

My main problems with recordings are positioning (getting the mic close enough to the bird), wind, traffic and other environmental noise. I think these are generally more important for a reasonable quality recording, than the sound quality or specification of the recorder.

Upside of the PMD660 is that it has two XLR connections with Phantom Power, so can be used with prosumer/professional mics.

Downsides - short battery life (4 hours on 4AA), use of less popular CF cards (also not sure what the max size the machine will take, so recording length could be limited), and spec suggests noisy inbuilt mic, if you want to use it without an external one.

Thanks for the comments. I would not use the built-in mic for recordings. When I used it for interviews I always used an external mic of one sort or another. To get started this seems like it is useable even with the limitations of battery life and format of the CF cards. Fortunately I have a supply of the CF cards some 4gig and a bunch of smaller capacity cards.

None of my interview microphones are likely to be of any use for bird recordings, so I will try to find something that will work with the Marantz as well as any future recorder I might transition to after I get some experience. I believe the now discontinued Sennheiser ME66 was once a popular shotgun mic for birds and I see mixed reviews for its replacement the MKE600. Browsing here the Rode NTG 5 is mentioned often, so I might try that as a starting point.

Thanks again for the comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back