• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Mirador SSF 75mm ep's? (1 Viewer)

smurf.for.mark

Hi was wondering if anyone can help? i managed to pick up the above scope recently for not much money, i havnt had a scope for some years now the last being a 70mm meopta.

the problem i have is it only came with one lens giving magnification of i think 40x but cant tell for sure? it is high anyway. what im after is something that will fit with a lower magnification of say 20-25x

the body of the scope has no focus, its done with the lens, the lens is a screw fit. iv searched but can not find anything? can anyone with a similar scope help with advice on what would work?

Attachments

• scope2.jpg
    scope2.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 27
thanks, i think they are closing down this month? now its daylight i measured the exit pupil and its approx 2.5mm maybe slightly less, with a 75mm objective thats approx 30-32x? so not quite as high as i thought. there are no markings on the lens at all.

Here's a page from a mid 1980s Mirador catalogue showing the focusing eyepieces that were available for your scope. A 22x was available, but probably scarce now. The 30x eyepiece supplied with the scope that you already have looks like a pretty good choice since the apparent field is fairly wide at around 60º.

Henry

Attachments

• IMG_2502.jpeg
    IMG_2502.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 53
Action Optics closing for repairs

Action Optics, Southampton may have something.

I have one lens left but it's very high power .
I have stopped taking in repairs unless something is particularly appealing and I hope to continue filming optical repairs at The Repair Shop .
I have quite a stock of binoculars etc to clear out and my website will therefore continue for some time.
Always happy to help answer problems or give advice.
When circumstances permit, I will be off exploring in my motor home.

Vintage Mirador.

Here's a page from a mid 1980s Mirador catalogue showing the focusing eyepieces that were available for your scope. A 22x was available, but probably scarce now. The 30x eyepiece supplied with the scope that you already have looks like a pretty good choice since the apparent field is fairly wide at around 60º.

Henry

I came on to this post by chance really because I wanted to ask some other advice but first I saw the novel article Henry you had downloaded here with the Mirador scopes on It was back in the 1980,s when my father purchased one of these scopes on show from a local gun shop I only ever wanted it for birdwatching this was back in march 1987 of the ones on show here mine is the Nearest one on the floor SSF 6025 A Mirador Merlin It came with a 25x eyepiece but I also had a 47x to go with it a scope I have used nearly ever since light weight under 2lb in weight over the years I must have carried this scope in my rucksack hundreds of miles when out birdwatching The 47x eyepiece was useful across water reservoirs in particular but I,ve seen a number of first time species through this scope with good clarity over that time I hope the OP enjoys useing his scope as much as I,ve done.. |=)|

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back