• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo (?), northern Virginia, April 6, 2021 (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, I took this picture today in a stream valley in northern Virginia. At the time I thought this was a Red-eyed Vireo. I hears it sing too, and I thought it was the incessant, persistent song of a Red-eyed Vireo. But now I have some doubts.

But surely this is a Vireo? Does it look like a Red-eyed?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

red-eyed_vireo1.jpg

Blue-headed Vireo for me. Even from this angle, it looks to me like the white "spectacles" are set off against a slate-gray/blue head. The soft off-white underparts with slightly darker flanks, as well as an apparently short tail, also seem to support BH Vireo.

Blue-headed Vireo's song is surprisingly similar to Red-eyed at times! Generally the phrases are more slurred and delivered less frequently, but there are exceptions.

I'm also in the Blue-headed Vireo camp, for reasons outlined by birdmeister. The lack of white on the underside of the tail also rules out Pine Warbler.

Thanks, after some research, I concluded that it is a Blue-headed Vireo too. Its song is similar (to an extent) to the Red-eyed, and it's early in the season, my ears are not tuned yet ;-)

I'm also in the Blue-headed Vireo camp, for reasons outlined by birdmeister. The lack of white on the underside of the tail also rules out Pine Warbler.

I took a look at picture and that it was a eye-ring along with the pale supraloral. Plus, picture is pretty poor and grainy so I thought lack of white was just due to lighting issues. I'm clearly mistaken, it's BHVI.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back