• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Virginia USA Falcon ID Assistance (1 Viewer)

Trempie4

United States
Hey All, curious as to whether this is a Cooper's or a Sharp-Shinned hawk.

Regrettably, I didn't pull a measurement so all I have are the photos attached.

They were taken today, 2.21.21 near Roanoke VA right off of interstate I-81

New to the raptor game so no clue of how to differentiate these two with a measurement. If anyone see any identifiers for one or the other speices I look forward to your response and wisdom!

Thanks in advance.

LewisIMG_4332.jpgIMG_4333.jpg

Pretty difficult to tell from these photos, but my vote is Sharp-shinned, based on the large eyed appearance of the face, and overall proportions.

Well, there is THAT minor oversight to deal with in my first posting!

Ironically, nothing i reviewed in attempting to establish an ID mentioned falcons so I've no one to blame but myself.

Thanks for pointing it out..... :geek:

The outer tail feathers appear to be shorter. This would indicate Cooper's Hawk. It's unfortunate that we can't see the tip of the tail in the picture of the underside. This probably would have clinched it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back