• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Virginia USA Falcon ID Assistance (1 Viewer)

Trempie4

United States
Hey All, curious as to whether this is a Cooper's or a Sharp-Shinned hawk.

Regrettably, I didn't pull a measurement so all I have are the photos attached.

They were taken today, 2.21.21 near Roanoke VA right off of interstate I-81

New to the raptor game so no clue of how to differentiate these two with a measurement. If anyone see any identifiers for one or the other speices I look forward to your response and wisdom!

Thanks in advance.

Lewis IMG_4332.jpg IMG_4333.jpg

connorco

United States
Pretty difficult to tell from these photos, but my vote is Sharp-shinned, based on the large eyed appearance of the face, and overall proportions.

Trempie4

United States
Pretty difficult to tell from these photos, but my vote is Sharp-shinned, based on the large eyed appearance of the face, and overall proportions.
Thanks Con, Sharpie was my first guess given its diminutive size but thanks for the input.

Trempie4

United States
Well, there is THAT minor oversight to deal with in my first posting!

Ironically, nothing i reviewed in attempting to establish an ID mentioned falcons so I've no one to blame but myself.

Thanks for pointing it out..... :geek:

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
The outer tail feathers appear to be shorter. This would indicate Cooper's Hawk. It's unfortunate that we can't see the tip of the tail in the picture of the underside. This probably would have clinched it.

Users who are viewing this thread