• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

visit to scotland (1 Viewer)

ron

PICNIC (problem in chair,not in computer)
I am visiting Oban at the end of May.I am hoping to spend a day on Mull with my son aged 12. Any tips or places to visit would be greatly appreciated.

Ron,
You will find the place really good. Try to contact 'Mullbirds' who is a member of this forum. Try an email or a pm and he will probably be able to give you some tips also. There is a website run by him I think but I don't know the URL but a search engine should give you several sites. Keep a lookout in the south of the island for White-tailed Eagle. There may well be a organised hide in the north of the island to view a nest of this species. You should also see Golden Eagle, Hen Harrier Merlin and Owls over the moors. Watch the sea lochs for Otter and for divers and grebes.

I was there in 2001 and saw all of the above except otter.

Colin

Ron

Welcome to the forum! Another member from Doncaster. If you're going to Scotland at the end of May it's obvious what you should do - join the BF official ScotBash! See details in Members Trips. Look forward to hearing from you.

Ron

Viewing from the end of Loch Don is good for White-tailed Eagle.
Golden Eagle are very viewable from the old Tobermory to Salen road.
Early morning and dusk are good for owls over most of the island.
I have seen Otter on many occasions on the island (the Tobermory-Salen road is again favourite if you are only there for a day).
Divers are easily found on the sea lochs and Hen Harriers can be seen but a single day is insufficent to cover the whole island.

Nice idea Peter but it's a family holiday, so time for bird watching comes low on the list of priorities for the rest of the family

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back