• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Dorset with my RSPB Group on our Annual birdwatching holiday in 2018 (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

My RSPB Group from Newcastle Upon Tyne are visiting Dorset on my RSPB Groups Annual birdwatching holiday staying hopefully in a very good hotel. The RSPB Group plan to visit such places as Arne, Radipole Lake, The New Forest, Titchfield etc among other places as well. What are the places I’ve mentioned above like for birdwatching, as I know that Arne is supposedly good? The RSPB Groups visit is from Sunday 29th April 2018 staying for 6 nights until the following Saturday.
Ian.

Hi Ian,

Titchfield Haven is an excellent reserve for birdwatching and regularly hosts visiting groups. It is compact with good facilities and a wide range of birds. A local patch birder has written an informative article on the reserve which you can access via the Solent Birding website. As a volunteer warden myself I can also answer - or try to - any specific questions you may have about the reserve.

Dave W

Hi Ian,

Titchfield Haven is an excellent reserve for birdwatching and regularly hosts visiting groups. It is compact with good facilities and a wide range of birds. A local patch birder has written an informative article on the reserve which you can access via the Solent Birding website. As a volunteer warden myself I can also answer - or try to - any specific questions you may have about the reserve.

Dave W
I haven’t seen a Bittern since the 1970’s on my one and only occasion of seeing one of those elusive birds. Do Bitterns nest at Titchfield Haven. Also what is the admission charge at Titchfield Haven.
Ian.

Hi Ian,

The New Forest is a big place. Within it you should plan to visit Acres Down (a traditional Goshawk watchpoint with a wide view over a large part of the forest, but also worth a look at the heathland around you with Tree and Meadow Pipits, Woodlarks etc and a walk in the woodlands that hold Redstart, Firecrest and Wood Warbler if you are lucky); somewhere like Deadman Hill/Black Gutter Bottom for heathland species; and some of the places with big Beeches and Oaks such as Bolderwood. Eyeworth Pond is good for Mandarin and Marsh Tit.

I would also recommend the Blashford Lakes reserve on the West side of the Forest North of Ringwood, though the wintering birds will probably have departed by then. Access is free.

If you are visiting Radipole Lake and presumably Lodmoor I wouldn't bother going all the way East to Titchfield Haven, which will bring you nothing additional. A Poole Harbour bird cruise or visit to Brownsea Island would probably be a better use of the time: or you could visit Pennington/Keyhaven Marshes South of Lymington which would also fit with your New Forest agenda. Late April/early May it will have a variety of migrants that could include various waders in summer plumage, Garganey and passerines from Wheatear to Whitethroat.

You haven't mentioned Portland Bill but if you are visiting Weymouth presumably this is also one of your intended locations?

Cheers

John

It would also be handy to know whereabouts you will be based, as you're looking at perhaps 2 hours driving between the furthest-flung sites. Also, does your itinerary have to be fixed, or will it be flexible on the day?

It would also be handy to know whereabouts you will be based, as you're looking at perhaps 2 hours driving between the furthest-flung sites. Also, does your itinerary have to be fixed, or will it be flexible on the day?
The RSPB Group from Newcastle Upon Tyne will be staying at a hotel in Bournemouth. There is one member of my RSPB Group that will decide on what days where we will go. The final full itinerary will be sent out to those RSPB Group members who are going on the 2018 RSPB Groups Birdwatching holiday approx 2 weeks before the departure date. The itinerary at present is only provisional.
Ian.

Hi Ian,

Bitterns are seen at Titchfield Haven most winters but don't breed there, so your chances of seeing one at the end of April are slim.
Admission charges are as follows: Adults £4.25; Senior Citizens £4.00; groups of 12+ £3.75. Summer opening times are 9.30am - 5.00pm.

Dave W

Hi Ian,

Bitterns are seen at Titchfield Haven most winters but don't breed there, so your chances of seeing one at the end of April are slim.
Admission charges are as follows: Adults £4.25; Senior Citizens £4.00; groups of 12+ £3.75. Summer opening times are 9.30am - 5.00pm.

Dave W
Thanks for that Dave.
Ian.

On my local group’s annual UK birdwatching holiday from the 29th April staying for 6 nights at a Bournemouth hotel, one of the places my RSPB group is planning to visit is Arne supposedly one of the RSPB’s flagship reserves. What are members of this forums opinions of Arne as a Birdwatching and Wildlife reserve.
Ian.

Hi Ian.

I visited Arne last week but only had a couple of hours there. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I'll state the obvious that 2 hours was not long enough. The mixture of heathland and pines (in the area we visited) reminded me a little of Scotland. Not too many birds but it was half term, and therefore busy, and we were there in the afternoon. Did have a decent view of a Spoonbill, heaps of Avocet and Brents. A morning visit would, I'm pretty certain have given Dartfords and Woodlarks.

Hope you have a great trip.

Rich

Hi Ian.

I visited Arne last week but only had a couple of hours there. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I'll state the obvious that 2 hours was not long enough. The mixture of heathland and pines (in the area we visited) reminded me a little of Scotland. Not too many birds but it was half term, and therefore busy, and we were there in the afternoon. Did have a decent view of a Spoonbill, heaps of Avocet and Brents. A morning visit would, I'm pretty certain have given Dartfords and Woodlarks.

Hope you have a great trip.

Rich
Thanks for that. Looking forward to visiting Dorset from the 29th April for 1 week with my RSPB Local Group.
Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back