• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting for the first time. (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Quarantines allowing I should be visiting the islands for the first time for a week in late August. I’m booked on a couple of Pelagics which hopefully will be birding highlight of the year and I’ll keep an eye on BirdGuides for rarities.

I wondered if there were any good blogs or websites for more general sightings and what locations and species to have a look at while I’m there.

I’m staying on St Mary’s but we’re hoping to visit at least one other island and I’ll probably not have a big scope with me (might bring the mm3 if luggage allows but it’s primarily a family holiday.)

would be good to get a heads up on anything else that doesn’t turn up much on the mainland (butterflies, reptiles dragonflies)

Quarantines allowing I should be visiting the islands for the first time for a week in late August. I’m booked on a couple of Pelagics which hopefully will be birding highlight of the year and I’ll keep an eye on BirdGuides for rarities.

I wondered if there were any good blogs or websites for more general sightings and what locations and species to have a look at while I’m there.

I’m staying on St Mary’s but we’re hoping to visit at least one other island and I’ll probably not have a big scope with me (might bring the mm3 if luggage allows but it’s primarily a family holiday.)

would be good to get a heads up on anything else that doesn’t turn up much on the mainland (butterflies, reptiles dragonflies)

One of the things (in my opinion) that doesn't turn up much on the mainland is Rum and Shrub. Definitely worth looking out for.B :)

Last edited:
Scilly shrew, stick insect, Monarch butterfly if there are strong westerlies. Have to sit outside the front of the Turk's Head, St. Agnes with a drink and soak up the atmosphere.

Have a fantastic time and holiday.

Scilly shrew, stick insect, Monarch butterfly if there are strong westerlies. Have to sit outside the front of the Turk's Head, St. Agnes with a drink and soak up the atmosphere.

Have a fantastic time and holiday.

Perfect place to find previously mentioned Rum and Shrub.

Seriously, enjoy - it's lovely. Hoping to be there in October.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back