• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Geoma 8X32 ZWCF Binoculars (1 Viewer)

FrankD

After ordering the Vixen Foresta 8x32 roofs I did a little diggin' around the Vixen selection on several websites. There are several interesting models and I have seen discussions in the past about the Vixen Foresta 8x32 porro. However, I also noticed the Vixen Geoma 8X32 ZWCF Binoculars. It looks like a "throwback" to the classic porro designs of the past but with modern antireflective coatings. I did a google search for it and searched the forum archives here as well. There are some casual references to it but I have not found a single post where someone actually owns one.

Have any of you tried it and/or if you have then what are your thoughts/experiences with it?

Specs:

Geoma 8x32 ZWCF
8.3° degree field of view
436 / 145 feet/meters at 1000 yards
15 / 4.5 feet/meters close focus
15mm of eye relief
16 ounce / 520g physical weight
$259 most places

It looks a bit like the Nikon E II but with a different position to the focusing knob.

Attachments

• a7fb801219df15815bfe563549484b5f.jpg
    a7fb801219df15815bfe563549484b5f.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 569
  • e2.bmp
    69.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Frank...For what I know,or perhaps imagine ,this binocular is the original Vixen-celestron Ultima. It shares the exact body,and I would say same optics,since specifications coincide ,With the adition,perhaps,of upgraded coatings.I do have the Swift version,the ultralite 8x32 ,also the same binocular,and it is an amazing little porro..They did have state of the art AR coatings at the time,so if the GEOMA has better coatings,I think it will be very good
The one that really interestes me,and I will buy as soon as I have a chance,is the NEW Foresta 8x32 waterpoof porro.I love the Swift Ultralite,It has a better view than the Zeiss FL,and amazing handling,but is not waterproof,So the New Foresta could be an affordable option to get top views in a WP bino

Minus the armoring, the Opticron SR GA 8x32 appears to be the same as the Geoma, and I believe both Opticron and Vixen (at least the Japanese models) are made by Kamakura (as is the Orion Ultraview). Quality stuff.

Frank, thanks for bringing renewed attention to these. Perhaps there are the poor man's EIIs.

Minus the armoring, the Opticron SR GA 8x32 appears to be the same as the Geoma, and I believe both Opticron and Vixen (at least the Japanese models) are made by Kamakura (as is the Orion Ultraview). Quality stuff.

Frank, thanks for bringing renewed attention to these. Perhaps there are the poor man's EIIs.

David,
At the risk of being redundant the poor man's EII has always been the EII! I think it is because of their prisms. They must be different otherwise why the fat housing for them?
Bob

Last edited:
David,
At the risk of being redundant the poor man's EII has always been the EII.

It is, but only if you're really lucky to find one reasonably priced!

Yes, I'm sure these are quite different; the weight along suggests they don't have the glass of the EII.

Intriguing, though.

David

Frank,

The Vixen Geoma 8X32 binoculars look similar to the original Japanese-made Celestron 8x32 Ultima, but hopefully Vixen improved the edge performance.

I bought a pair when they were on BVD's reference standard list as "Best Buy" in the midsized category. I found the centerfield was super sharp, right up there with the SE and EII, but the edges were "crummy" as Todd Gross, the weatherman, described them in his review. Small sweet spot, oodles of field curvature at the edges.

Well, you have your "reference standard" 8x32 SE (two of them, as I recall), so you can do the comparison. Let us know how it turns out.

Brock

Brock,

Thank you for the info. I should have them in some time this week. I will compare them directly to the SE and the E to see how they fair.

I do only have one SE at the moment. It was that one I picked up for $350. It is an earlier unit based on your comments surrounding the serial number but still provides a superb view. I also still use the 7x35 E as a reference as well. Despite the differences in apparent field of view I do find that it is entirely comparable with the SE in terms of apparent sharpness, color representation/saturation and to a lesser extent, edge performance. It might actually better the SE slightly in terms of apparent brightness...but I am not opening that can of worms again. ;)

Speaking of my 8x32 SE, I am still waiting to hear if I won that award for the "best buy". :)

I have also been picking up various other mid-low priced porros recently. Nothing compares to the two Nikons. I do have the urge to pick up another Orion Ultraview as I have some very fond memories of it. Just waiting for one to show up on the popular auction site.

I should send you that Sightron 8x32 that I posted about previously. Not a porro but the image is very, very good for a sub-$200 roof...and then some.

Frank,
Any luck receiving the Vixen 8x32 Geo bins you were expecting? I am hoping that there PFM ( Perfect Full Multicoatings) are not just advertising hype. With current limited porro research and development I am in the market for recent coating upgrades in bins that are selling under the $400. price range. If these bins come close to Nikon SE performance, at the price they are charging, there will be a sale. Thanking you in advance for your vast experience in this area.

I did receive these bins but never posted anything about them. They didn't last long in my stable.

Pros:

Bright, reasonably sharp with good contrast and color representation.

Cons:

Edge performance. It was the deal breaker for me. The sweet spot was smaller than I would have liked plus I had a difficult time with eye positioning. They don't show the eyepieces in the pics but they are incredibly small. The ocular diameter is large for the size of the eyecup but the eyecup diameter itself is easily the smallest I have ever seen on a binocular with this objective diameter. It was/is comparable to many of the reverse porro compact models I have owned.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back