• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader- Hampshire UK March 6th (1 Viewer)

StephenHampshire

United Kingdom
Hello, I would like some help with this wader, seen on my exercise walk this morning. It was in some local watercress beds, I saw it briefly in flight, I also saw something in the same bed last week, but only as it flew away. I'm suggesting green sandpiper, as in flight it looked very "black and white"- I have seen a similar bird in other watercress beds and the river Arle over the past few months, on one occassion very much looking like a large swift or house martin. Today this little chap was a fair distance away and I only had a pair of 8x25's with me, the overall look was a dark brown bird with greyish head and very white underparts. Greyish legs. The attached pictures do seem to show an eye stripe too. I would value your opinion. Location- Hampshire, Alresford, about 25 miles inland, lots of cress beds around though!P1010153_DxO-1.jpgP1010156_DxO.jpg

Hello,
your bird is Green Sandpiper. Please note:
right muddy brownish black back with an olive tinge and contrasting whie underparts, resulting in a contrasting wader

Edit: agree with Roy
Thank you for confirming. I wonder if its the same one I've been seeing on and off since the end of November? My wife and I walk from home, so all sightings have been with a few Kms of each other, I mostly seem to catch it(them) flying away and have only ever seen a single bird!

Thank you for confirming. I wonder if its the same one I've been seeing on and off since the end of November? My wife and I walk from home, so all sightings have been with a few Kms of each other, I mostly seem to catch it(them) flying away and have only ever seen a single bird!
Highly likely. Green Sandpiper winter on the cressbeds around Alresford, in fact most of the chalkfed streams across Hampshire. There are normally 1 or 2 birds around Bighton & also again around Pinglestone. Both within easy walk of the town. Certainly birds were present through December, but I haven't been able to check since as it is a bit far to be called local for me. They normally stay until early April.

Have now seen this bird several more times in the same location (about 15-20 mins walk from home) and having had the chance to see it at closer quarters today, it is definitely a Green Sandpiper. Thank you to all who have answered this thread

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back