• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader id help pls, S Thailand, Sept 23, 2022 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, these rather awful photos were taken in the rain on a shore of Satun province in southern or western peninsular Thailand. There was a good variety of shorebirds but my ability to safely id them is questionable, to say the least. I have lightened and cropped some of the photos. These photos were taken in sequence, so unsure of why their numbers are not:)
Photo 167d: ?
Photo 97: bar-tailed godwhits (2 with the long slender bills) and lesser sand plovers (smallest birds)? Not sure of the others where can only see the underside.
Photo 167: 2 common redshanks based on leg colour, though head seems small?
Photo 094: the congregation of plovers are lesser? sand plovers? The larger bird to the left is a godwhit?
Photo 1669: Could the plover with what looks like a the white nuchal collar be a kentish plover?
Photo 166a: One (lesser) sand plover on the far right, not sure of the other waders though perhaps the long billed one on the left is another godwhit?
Photo 0097: ?
thank you in advance for taking the time to look at these. Any comments or suggestions most appreciated.
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_167d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_167d.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0097.JPG
    DSCN0097.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
  • fullsizeoutput_167f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_167f.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0094.JPG
    DSCN0094.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • fullsizeoutput_1669.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1669.jpeg
    768.8 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_166a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_166a.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0097.JPG
    DSCN0097.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
The godwits (spelling) look like bar-tailed (short legs). The things that look like redshanks either are or (in some cases) probably are redshanks.

Thanks Butty, for taking the time needed to spend any time at all on these:) Your comments much appreciated. Bar-tailed godwits:) are expected there but the "darkish" neck and white shoulder did not look like what is in my book. The redshank is a bit of a surprise.
thanks again, much appreciated
steve

Last edited:
pic 1, 4 (left) and 5 (left) look like Terek Sandpiper, on structure. agree on Redshanks (pic 3). wader in pic 6 left is not a Godwit (don't know what, though, perhaps another Terek.)

Thanks Lou, your time spent on these is much appreciated by me. The dark neck and small head and what seemed like a really thin bill left me idless.
Again thank you for taking the time, very much appreciated.
steve

Photo 167d: Not really sure but I think they're Terek Sandpiper
Photo 97: 3 Bar-tailed Godwits (2 on left, 1 on right), 3 sandplovers (I think Greater), I think 2 Common Redshanks at the back (1 partly out of frame), I think a Great Knot facing away in centre (the left of the two birds together)
Photo 167: I agree with Common Redshanks
Photo 094: 2 Terek Sandp. on the left, 2 Greater Sandplovers (on far right and top right, with bill visible), the rest look like sandplovers, probably also Greater (but not sure)
Photo 1669: Terek on left, Lesser Sandplover on right. I'm not sure about the bird in the middle, I'm not even sure if it has a complete white collar - I think it's another Lesser Sandplover.
Photo 166a: Terek on left, Lesser Sandplover on right, I think the other two are also Lesser Sandplover (but not sure)
Photo 0097: Same as the earlier photo 97.

Thank you John Allcock, I am amazed you could get so much out of these rather terrible photos. However, they have forced me to pay more attention to structure, which I can do now with your and Lou's and Butty's id help.
Thank you again, very much appreciated.
steve

Thank you John Allcock, I am amazed you could get so much out of these rather terrible photos. However, they have forced me to pay more attention to structure, which I can do now with your and Lou's and Butty's id help.
Thank you again, very much appreciated.
steve
Thanks. I've spent LOTS of time watching distant waders in Hong Kong over the years. It does help to learn the subtle differences in structure, feeding posture and plumage that may not be obvious from books/online photos. I'm not 100% sure on all of these IDs but this is what they look like to me.

Thank you John Allcock for sharing your experience. That is perhaps the most important aspect, of many important ones, of this forum, the willingness of those such as yourself (and Butty and Lou on this thread, but many others on other threads) with years of experience to take the time to share the results of their experience with those like me who are continually struggling and making id errors:)
all the best and thanks again
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back