• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders (2) ID help requested, S Thailand, Sept 23 2022 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hello again:) This is a second set of photos of different waders (though perhaps not different species) taken on the shore of Satun province in Southern Thailand. They were taken about 15 meters down the spit from the previous set posted two days ago. All comments and advice appreciated and thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this second set of not very good photos - I have played around with the lighting of this set to make them more visually friendly, though will not claim success in that regard.
Photo 1, 168c: bar-tailed godwit on the left and whimbrel on the right? A plover below the whimbrel:)
Photo 2, 168d: three Terek Sandpipers?
Photo 3, 168e: a group of Terek Sandpipers with a Lesser Sand Plover flying (I don't see any feet sticking out and I think those are stones that make the tail look fanned, small bill, correct white on wing (though more white than I thought it would have))?
Photo 4,1691: One whimbrel and likely 3. The large plover on the left has me wondering if it is possibly a Ruff as it does not look to me like a member of the golden plover family. The small plover at the bottom right is a lesser sand plover? The others probably not ideable:)
Photo 5, 1690 and Photo 6, 168f show the same large pair. Is the one on the left definitely larger than the one on the right? Or just a photo glitch? I initially thought both were whimbrels but the with apparent size difference could the left one be an Eurasion curlew?
thank you in advance for any comments and advice
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_168c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_168c.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • fullsizeoutput_168d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_168d.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • fullsizeoutput_168e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_168e.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • fullsizeoutput_1691.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1691.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • fullsizeoutput_1690.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1690.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • fullsizeoutput_168f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_168f.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
hi again,
1. bar-tailed godwit and whimbrel, and presumably one of the sand plovers
2. three bar-tailed godwits
3. bar-tailed godwits plus a lesser sandplover
4. eurasian curlews (at least the middle one is but the other 2 seem to be the same size), a party of sand plovers and I'm not sure on the large wader on the left side but I'd exclude Ruff. neckless appearance and short bill still gives some Pluvialis-vibes but head looks a bit small.
5. and 6. eurasian curlew to the left and whimbrel to the right, in between some sand plovers.

Thank you again Lou for taking the time to look at these and enabling me to name correctly my "reference" collection of terrible photos:) Have look again at good photos of Terek and Bar-tailed obviously. I did see, I think, a Pacific golden plover but did not get a photo of that wader.
Again, thank you and very much appreciated.
steve

As with your other post, some of these are a bit tricky, but I think:
Photo 1, 168c: Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel and Pacific Golden Plover
Photo 2, 168d: Three Bar-tailed Godwits
Photo 3, 168e: Four Bar-tailed Godwits, three sandplover sp (two flying, one at front; I think it is Lesser flying on left and Greater on right, but with low confidence). Possibly a Great Knot facing us in the centre, or perhaps a godwit probing very deep? I'm not sure.
Photo 4,1691: 2 curlews on right, several sandplover sp (looks like Lesser lower right), something in the middle that may be another curlew. Like Lou I'm not sure of the bird on the left - something about it looks like Grey (=Black-bellied) Plover, but it doesn't look quite right.
Photo 5, 1690 and Photo 6, 168f Curlew on left, Whimbrel on right and some sandplovers.
(Looks like I mostly agree with Lou)

I'm not sure which species of curlew these are. Probably Eurasian, but I don't know if you have Far Eastern in the area and I wouldn't want to separate them on these photos.

Thank you again Lou for taking the time to look at these and enabling me to name correctly my "reference" collection of terrible photos:) Have look again at good photos of Terek and Bar-tailed obviously. I did see, I think, a Pacific golden plover but did not get a photo of that wader.
Again, thank you and very much appreciated.
steve
Size and leg colour for Terek vs Bar-tailed G.
Terek is small (size of a sandplover) with short, orange legs. I find they often look front-heavy, sort of like they're about to fall forward.

Thanks John, that is very helpful as I was looking at bill thickness and shape only (and got that wrong, in part in revisiting the first photo of the bar-tailed I now notice it has its bill open giving it that thick look in photo 1.
Again, thank you and much appreciated.
steve

Apologies John Allcock, I missed your first post. Thank you for going through all of those photos and taking the time to comment. According to eBird Far eastern is quite rare on the south west cost of Thailand, with no records in Satun, only one recent record (a year ago) in Krabi to the north. However, there are a couple of recent sightings in the last 7 days in Penang not too far to the south. Eurasian is quite a bit more common in this part of Thailand it would appear.
thank you again and your comments much appreciated
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back