• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders -- Cottbus, Germany (1 Viewer)

I can't see the "shoulder notch" in #1 which should be present in Common Sandpiper so I agree with pete wragg that they are Green Sandpipers!

Shane

Here is an unprocessed photo of a CS in a not too dissimilar position and at a similar distance ............. the "shoulder notch" clearly stands out which is why I agree with PW on his ID!

Shane

Attachments

• Common Sandpiper Sample 1.jpg
    Common Sandpiper Sample 1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 31
a not too dissimilar position
This bird has its head right up - the original two have their heads right down. This image is also much larger and much more crisp. So it's not comparable to the necessary degree.

Edit - Deleted 'No' and replaced 'at all' with 'to the necessary degree', as the original was found upsetting.

Last edited:
Agree with Green Sands on structure, tone, posture, legs and even the fact that they are wading in the water rather than pottering around the edge....

JW

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back