• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Waders - Essex UK (1 Viewer)

djw0208

Hi, I'm not sure what these are but think they might be Knot, but they are not in the usual summer or winter plumage?

Could anyone confirm please?

Attachments

• DSC03361.JPG
    DSC03361.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC03363.JPG
    DSC03363.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 93

djw0208

Ah okay, they were darker backed than greenshank I am used to seeing and the legs were yellower. (and I convinced myself the bills were shorter !!) Are they juvenile?

Butty

Have to say they look like pretty regular greenshank to me. Greenshank aren't strikingly ageable, and perhaps not at all in photos of this quality. I think the bills look shortish (for greenshank) here chiefly just because they're difficult to distinguish from background fuzz.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread