• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders, March 2019 near Dhaka, Bangladesh (TERRIBLE pics) (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
Going back through my old photos waiting (impatiently) for this winter when all the migratory birds will be back. I was going through these photos from earlier this year, and checking all the waders again to make sure I didn't miss something. Then I thought I noticed something interesting (for me at least).
In the first picture I number the birds so you can tell what I'm talking about.
Pic 1:
#1 Is this a Common Sandpiper? (would be a first BD bird for me, though they are fairly common) Bill is shorter than the bill of the sandpiper right beside it. I'm assuming that other sandpiper is just a Wood sandpiper, though it could also be a Green sandpiper. The sandpiper also seems to have the extra white little strip on the shoulder that Common sandpipers seem to have.
(#2 the reference Green or Wood #3 Yellow Wagtail these are just for reference...)
#4 Not exactly sure what this one is. Probably just a Wood sandpiper, but seems to have an oddly long neck?
Pic 2: just a crop of the previous pic hopefully helping ID. Bird on left is #1 and bird on right is #2

I completely understand how pathetically bad these shots are, but sometimes those are more fun to try to ID. Would appreciate any thoughts...

Attachments

• P1070587 (2)_LI_opt.jpg
    P1070587 (2)_LI_opt.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 63
  • P1070587 (3).JPG
    P1070587 (3).JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 49
1 looks like Common Sandpiper. There is a white indentation at the shoulder
2 The breast pattern would suit Green Sandpiper
3 No idea
4 Potentially a Marsh Sandpiper with that thin bill and chest pattern, not sure about leg length though. Depends how deep the water is.

1 looks like Common Sandpiper. There is a white indentation at the shoulder
2 The breast pattern would suit Green Sandpiper
3 No idea
4 Potentially a Marsh Sandpiper with that thin bill and chest pattern, not sure about leg length though. Depends how deep the water is.

Thanks. #3 is either a Western Yellow Wagtail or Citrine Wagtail. I probably shouldn't have labeled it, but I thought it could be helpful to have size reference...

I would say that the waders are all Wood Sandpipers except for #2, which looks like a Green Sandpiper (slightly bulkier than the others, breast pattern fits green better). I don't see any Common Sand here, which would be shorter-legged and longer-tailed.

I would say that the waders are all Wood Sandpipers except for #2, which looks like a Green Sandpiper (slightly bulkier than the others, breast pattern fits green better). I don't see any Common Sand here, which would be shorter-legged and longer-tailed.

agreed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back