• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders on the salt pans east of Bangkok - Yesterday afternoon (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

I was on the salt pans east of Bangkok yesterday and there are some birds that I am uncertain about. Many of the waders looks the same in my book and as I am getting very old the pictures can not be big enough. Attached pictures:
#1+2 and I have ID the birds as Red necked stints, only reason for this is the black strip through the eye. Picture #1 is in breeding plumage and picture #2 is in eclipse going to breeding plumage

#3+4 and that is even though the bird should not be in this area, but I ID the bird as a White -faced Plover. This because of the eye brow and the blackish edge of the wing. Also white neck and brown top of the head

#5 I have no clue, with different colours I would have said Common Sandpiper as this is the only bird I can ID direct because of the whit the wedge in front of the wing. Now my best guess is a Temminicks Stint in eclipse, but the throat is not correct.

Anyone that can confirm my IDs?

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 107
1,2 & 5 look like summer plumaged sanderling.3 is possibly one of the sandplovers.
Thank you stevo!

I have been looking at the Sanderling. But in my book the Sanderling have black tail and the lower part is grey. On my bird (Pic #1) the tail is full golden and the wing is golden all the way down the wing. I think I can see it is going to be a golden tail on the eclipse bird as well.

And I have two books and they are quite different. In the book with red ring it looks to be more golden.

Well, it is very hard for me to see the difference.

Thanks again!
Aladdin

Attachments

• qqq.jpg
    qqq.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • qq.jpg
    qq.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 14
Thank you stevo!

I have been looking at the Sanderling. But in my book the Sanderling have black tail and the lower part is grey. On my bird (Pic #1) the tail is full golden and the wing is golden all the way down the wing. I think I can see it is going to be a golden tail on the eclipse bird as well.

And I have two books and they are quite different. In the book with red ring it looks to be more golden.

Well, it is very hard for me to see the difference.

Thanks again!
Aladdin
In your second [book] image the tail is actually shown as whitish. I'm not sure about the first image. Anyway, bird 1 is a good match for sanderling. The other 2 similar birds [2,5] can't be sanderling because they have hind toes. Sanderling is the only one without hind toes like this.

In your second [book] image the tail is actually shown as whitish. I'm not sure about the first image. Anyway, bird 1 is a good match for sanderling. The other 2 similar birds [2,5] can't be sanderling because they have hind toes. Sanderling is the only one without hind toes like this.
Thank you very much THE_FERN!

I look on the internet and the Red-necked Stint don't seem to have any hind toe either. So I will put #1 as Sanderling. For the white faced plover, the only option in eBird is Kentish/White-faced Plover

Kind regards
Aladdin

Dear THE_FERN!

I tried to report it as a White faced Plover and this turned out to be a rare bird. So I changed it to Kentish Plover, think I see a little black behind the ear that looks bigger than the black on the white faced

Kind Regards
Aladdin

My first impression was White-faced Plover. They definitely occur at the Laem Pak Bia sand spit.
Thank you Jeff Hopkins!

Yes, they are present there as per my map in the book as well. But it is a rare bird so I changed to Kentish Plover to avoid people getting the wrong bird in the RARE BIRD ALERT!

Kind Regards
Aladdin

I look on the internet and the Red-necked Stint don't seem to have any hind toe
Red-necked stint has a hind toe. The hind toe on a wader is often not easy to see.

it is a rare bird so I changed to Kentish Plover
You should report it as Kentish plover if you believe it to be Kentish plover. If you can't be sure of its identify you should leave it as unidentified.

First bird looke like a Little Stint with those extensive rufus tones across all the flight feathers. Beak also looks fine and the tibia may be long. Do you have any more images?

Edit: or could be a very bright Sanderling. Can't asess size from this image.

#1. I agree that this looks like it could be a breeding plumage Little Stint, based on structure and head pattern. But Sanderling is quite similar. More pictures might help.

#2 & #5. Red-necked Stints.

#3 & #4. Either Kentish or White-faced. It wouldn't like to say which based on these photos. If you're not sure of the ID, you'd be better reporting them to eBird as Kentish/White-faced, rather than guessing to one or the other. This is exactly the situation that the 'slash' combination (Kentish/White-faced) is provided for.

#1. I agree that this looks like it could be a breeding plumage Little Stint, based on structure and head pattern. But Sanderling is quite similar. More pictures might help.

#3 & #4. Either Kentish or White-faced. It wouldn't like to say which based on these photos. If you're not sure of the ID, you'd be better reporting them to eBird as Kentish/White-faced, rather than guessing to one or the other. This is exactly the situation that the 'slash' combination (Kentish/White-faced) is provided for.
White-faced is rare in the upper/inner Gulf athough a single bird has overwintered at Chachoengsao, AFAIK, last reported on eBird 15 Mar. I'd follow John's advice and report it as either/or based on these images.

Grahame

Thank you johnallcock!

Sorry for late reply, just stepped inside the room after 3 days of birding on River Kwae in Kanchanaburi. So don't be surprised if there will be new questions, right now I am very busy with my books

I am sorry to say that I don't have any better pictures. As soon as I got out of the car the bird took off.

Aladdin

White-faced is rare in the upper/inner Gulf athough a single bird has overwintered at Chachoengsao, AFAIK, last reported on eBird 15 Mar. I'd follow John's advice and report it as either/or based on these images.

Grahame
Thank you Grahame Walbridge!

I have decided to go with the Kentish/White-faced in eBird to be on the safe side.

Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back