• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagbachniederung on a Sunday? (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
I'm planning a morning of birding at Wagbachniederung. All of the websites I've found tell you to park at the Sanctuary on the south end. Is there really adequate parking there on a Sunday when they have mass? Is there an alternate place to park that someone can recommend?

I'm planning a morning of birding at Wagbachniederung. All of the websites I've found tell you to park at the Sanctuary on the south end. Is there really adequate parking there on a Sunday when they have mass? Is there an alternate place to park that someone can recommend?
In my experience, there should be enough space (except perhaps on special holidays). If it's too crowded, you may also be able to park at the train station a few hundred metres farther south (see Google Maps). There is a parking lot there, and AFAIK it's open to everyone. Perhaps there are even more parking lots in the area, but those two are the only ones I'm familiar with.

As birders arrive before the mass goers, you'll have an empty parking lot when you arrive ;) Anyway, enough parking space there, nothing to worry.

Just last Sunday, yes. Ended up parking on the grass by the flower garden. Got there later than planned and didn't see nearly as much as I hoped. The main access trail through the farm was a serious swamp.

There was a small but very active colony of Purple Herons there a couple weeks ago (barely 30m from the footpath, too), hope you got to see them.

I saw about 3 herons that were well camouflaged in the high grass in a colony of black headed gulls. They were keeping a low profile. I haven't looked at the shots yet, but I'm guessing they may be the purples you spoke of or at least unfledged juveniles perhaps.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back