• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Recently I have tried to keep an eye on White Wagtails, since it happens that Pied Wagtails also show up here in Poland in the spring time.. Usually the white have clear dark head and light grey back, but this one here today is more darkish on the back.. I have tried to research about the difference, but don't really feel sure how to distinguish these 2 clearly, when they deviate from the common look.. For me it looks very similar to this female Pied Wagtail, second picture on this link: Pied/White Wagtail

I unfortunately don't have better pictures, since it just landed on the lamp and took off shortly afterwards to an area, which can't be accessed..

Can anyone help me here, and also if possible, how to eliminate the wrong one..

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Wagtail.jpg
    Wagtail.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Wagtail1.jpg
    Wagtail1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 56
deffo pied wagtail........very darker grey overall ie not much contrast between the colours and more grey on the flanks.......nice find

Hi Butty

I can't really judge this, since my experience is too little, that's why I uploaded my pictures here..

I have attached the same picture, compensated with 1,5 in exposure compensation.. For me it still looks pretty dark, at least much darker than the rest I find around here..

Attachments

• Wagtail11.jpg
    Wagtail11.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 29
this is a female pied wagtail photo i took on 15/01/2022 at redcar tarn west yorkshire if you add 1.5 exposure it would look exactly like agdk's bird......its pied wagtail
_I0A5050.jpg

Thanks for the inputs to both of you.. It will maybe be a hard one to take a final answer on, since the conditions and pictures available is not optimal..

I have forwarded the case to someone from the Polish rarity committee, whom I know.. In the end, it will be them, to take a final decision, since they have to approve this kind of sighting here in Poland..

I'll come back, when I hear something, except someone else has something more conclusive..

this is a female pied wagtail . . . if you add 1.5 exposure it would look exactly like agdk's bird......its pied wagtail
In the ID process, rather than demonstrating that one's bird looks like what one thinks it is, it's often far more important to demonstrate that it doesn't look like the alternative(s). So I don't think that debates/guesses on the effect of exposure can lead anywhere other than indicating that the apparent darkness of upperparts may not eliminate alba.

Just an update on the case.. I just received info from my contact at the rarity committee and he says that it doesn't look 100% right for a Pied Wagtail, and to clarify, I'll need pictures of the rump, that must be black and not just dark grey.. Wasn't aware of that detail..

Attachments

• Pied.jpg
    Pied.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 15
I have some more pictures of the same bird.. Was still present today.. Does it change anything in the conclusion.. ?

I'll resend them to the rarity committee as well and see what they say..

Attachments

• From back.jpg
    From back.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Rump and tail.jpg
    Rump and tail.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Wingpattern.jpg
    Wingpattern.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 37
So just to clarify.. With the "Uppertail-coverts blackish, rump largely grey", together with the rest the pictures are showing, can it be said that it's not a "clean" Pied Wagtail, but not a clean White Wagtail either, so hybrid is most likely or can nothing be concluded? :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back