• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walking Boots (1 Viewer)

Mountain warehouse have a good returns policy, I would take them back and state that they are not fit for purpose.

For me karrimor no more

I paid £60 for a pair of Merrells, which I never wear because I much prefer my twenty quid Karrimors. So I think it's a lot of personal taste. On the 'proper hiking boot front, I love Salomon boots - I've had a couple of pairs. But they ain't cheap, and I'd consider them OTT for lowland birding.

I would always recommend that you try boots and shoes on before you buy. I bought some "approach shoes" the other week and was amazed how different the various shoes felt, I ended up with a pair of KEEN.
I seem to remember being advised to try on shoes in the afternoon, after your feet have swelled naturally over the day.
The only footware I have bought off the internet are sandals and a pair of canvas "pumps".

Has anyone mentioned Brasher boots?

I used to be an advocate of fabric boots, and have worn out quite a few pairs (I do a lot of walking). For some reason, I switched to leather and found them to be much easier to clean - the mud will just wipe off. Fabric boots need a scrubbing brush to get the mud out of the fabric.

My current leather boots are Brasher and have served me very well.

Really, the boots that you buy should reflect where you will be using them. I was in Aldi a year or so ago, and they had cheap boots (with Vibram soles) - I bought a pair. I took these boots on a two week walking holiday to Crete, and I was very pleased that I did. The mountains in Crete, are made of a hard, jagged, sharp type rock - my leather boots would have been ripped to pieces.

Can anyone keep up with who owns what company when it comes to walking gear? I would recommend Brasher for a leather boot. Wellies for total waterproofing.

Hey Nick,

I'd recommend any of the Gore-Tex lined leather boots in preference to fabric ones.
Just choose something to meet your weight, construction, budget, and importantly "fit" preferences.

I've worn Kathmandu H2O proof (Gore-Tex) leather boots for years, which have taken me uphill |=@| and down dale |8(| all over the world.

Here's what the current iteration is like: http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Footwear/Kathmandu/33027/Tiber_NGX_Boot.html#

Chosun :gh:

I am still very pleased with my Scarpa Mistral GTX boots. I have been using them virtually every weekend all year round, summer and winter. True, they don't have to cope with really rugged terrain and I usually try to avoid wading through deep water by picking a way through the shallowest bits but they are very light and are by far the most comfortable boots which I have ever owned. I would definitely have another pair when these finally bite the dust.

Ron

Mountain warehouse have a good returns policy, I would take them back and state that they are not fit for purpose.

Having contacted Mountain Warehouse about the boots having slippery soles, I was told that they were "rough terrain" boots and had less grip on normal surfaces such as tracks, paths and roadways.

They will not exchange the boots I bought even though nowhere in their advertising of the boots does it mention they are not suitable for use on normal surfaces. They are clearly "Not Fit For Purpose".

Please be aware if you consider buying anything from Mountain Warehouse.

karrinomor

karrimor boots? Total rubbish. Bought a pair of Bodmin Weathertite off the internet because they were on offer and I needed a cheap pair of daily walking boots (I use Meindle for the heavy stuff). It said they were waterproof and they most categorically are not - they leak like a sieve and within two weeks the fabric and leather has shredded completely where it meets the toe rand, exposing the 'waterproof' membrane underneath. I contacted karrimor and was politely told to contact the retailer who would exchange them. What's the point? I'll spend more in postage returning rubbish boots than the boots are worth. NEVER EVER AGAIN. How karrimor have the nerve to sell such junk and proudly proclaim it's 'Britishness' is beyond me. It gives the country a bad name.

I am still very pleased with my Scarpa Mistral GTX boots. I have been using them virtually every weekend all year round, summer and winter. True, they don't have to cope with really rugged terrain and I usually try to avoid wading through deep water by picking a way through the shallowest bits but they are very light and are by far the most comfortable boots which I have ever owned. I would definitely have another pair when these finally bite the dust.

Ron

Hi Ron,

How are these regarding waterproofing? I've just got back from a mornings birding, much of it walking through wet grass and I've just discovered that my Berghaus gortex boots (only 2 1/2 years old) leak like hell:C!

Perry

Hi Perry. Within the constraints of my post which you have quoted they have been fine. I have been wearing them all year round since getting them and haven't had wet feet yet. As I said, I haven't been wading through deep puddles in them but they have stood up to rain and snow with no problems. The Vibram soles seem to wearing all right too.

However, I have just looked at the Scarpa site and it seems that they are now discontinued. Perhaps some of their new models are even better or maybe there is a problem with them which I haven't discovered yet. ;)

Ron

My better half buys shoes from 'Hotter' Mail order and limited retail outlets I think.
She got me a pair of walking boots as a prezzy and I think they are excellent. Very comfortable strong and waterproof (to date). Around £80-90 I think But they seem to do BOGOF and other offers

Hi Ron,

How are these regarding waterproofing? I've just got back from a mornings birding, much of it walking through wet grass and I've just discovered that my Berghaus gortex boots (only 2 1/2 years old) leak like hell:C!

Perry

The use of Gortex in footwear is a borderline scam. Walk in them long enough, YOUR FEET WILL GET WET either from an ingress of water thru an opening or just internal sweat buildup. I would not wear a Gortex or similarly lined boot for more than a few hours in any conditions but below freezing snow mainly because they will keep your feet warmer as the Gortex liner acts as a vapor barrier.

If you want to keep your feet dry during extended walking in wet/rain conditions it is smarter to use Gortex socks with light mesh non-Gortex trailrunners or mids. At least then you can properly wash the socks after each use and re-apply the DWR coating as it wears off.

With a Gortex boot, dirt from outside and sweat, body oils and dirt from the inside will eventually clog the membrane. In an temp above freezing your sock will have no where to wick the sweat and your feet will get wet and pruny.

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Perry

Perry, You did well to get 2 1/2 years out of them. I have had 3 pairs of Berghaus gortex boots and they all lasted just over a year before leaking. The 3rd pair were a replacement from Berghaus [now leaking]after the second pair let in water after 14 months. I do not want another pair of gortex boots but there are not many non gortex boots out there.

karrimor boots? Total rubbish. Bought a pair of Bodmin Weathertite off the internet because they were on offer and I needed a cheap pair of daily walking boots (I use Meindle for the heavy stuff). It said they were waterproof and they most categorically are not - they leak like a sieve and within two weeks the fabric and leather has shredded completely where it meets the toe rand, exposing the 'waterproof' membrane underneath. I contacted karrimor and was politely told to contact the retailer who would exchange them. What's the point? I'll spend more in postage returning rubbish boots than the boots are worth. NEVER EVER AGAIN. How karrimor have the nerve to sell such junk and proudly proclaim it's 'Britishness' is beyond me. It gives the country a bad name.

My previous pair of boots were Karrimor and were superb. However, after hearing similar reports as yours and learning that they were now part of the same group as Sports Direct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karrimor) I went for a pair of Scarpas. Good decision:t:

It took me a long time to find some good boots. I am using, since more than two years, MEINDL boots. In winter we can have snow and temperatures of -20C. For this time I use VAKUUM MEN GTX. For the rest of the year I use MAINE MEN MID GTX. I highly recomend them both.

Cristian

My previous pair of boots were Karrimor and were superb. However, after hearing similar reports as yours and learning that they were now part of the same group as Sports Direct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karrimor) I went for a pair of Scarpas. Good decision:t:

Karrimor are Jekyll & Hyde - my KSB's were like Slippers and I was quite sad when they wore out after years of use - and they were cheap !
I'm using Salomon at the moment which are nice but quite expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back