• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Walking boots (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Well, I've settled on always going for full leather with Gore-Tex (or equivalent non-proprietary) linings.

Whatever quality brands are sold near you - expect to pay your version of $200AUD +

However good they are, unfortunately they may wear out quicker than you expect !

Chosun 👧

Depends what sort of walking you're likely to be doing, long hill days with rocky paths or no paths and lots of heather bashing, or lower level stuff on decent tracks. Good ankle support is crucial for the former, but you'd get away with lighter boots or walking shoes for the latter.

Personally, I'd also go with full leather and a goretex type lining, but would add vibram soles to that as well, apparently vibram lasts longer than other types of soles, according to my son who works for a well-known UK outdoor shop. Go to a decent outdoor shop, ask to speak to a member of staff about footwear and explain what sort of walking you'll be doing and they should be able to give you pretty good advice. Don't forget about insoles/footbeds, the ones that come in the boot or shoe may not be the best for you and it is well worth paying a bit extra for a decent footbed. Some outdoor shops also have staff members trained in fitting footbeds as well.

If you're likely to be walking in wet grass, crossing streams etc, I'd advise against anything with a brushed leather or suede type finish, I've found they don't stay waterproof as long as normal leather and you have to re-proof them more frequently.

YuShan

hikingbirdman.com
United Kingdom
Walking shoes/ boots are too personal to give any useful recommendation, imo. What works wonderful for me can be a nightmare for you and the other way around. :)

But for what it is worth: I have literally walked thousands of miles on Meindl Bhutan, often carrying lots of weight too. I'm on my 4th pair now, I think.

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
As others have said, it is a case of "how long is a piece of string". You need to weigh up lots of criteria.

What will you be doing in them?

Ian Byrnes

Looking for a pair of walking boots .

Looking for recommendations

Thanks sean
I always found Keen boots excellent. An American brand, really good quality & very waterproof. Amazon usually have some decent offers ie. KEEN Targhee II bought for £80 instead of £200.

Mikewander

Scotland
For years i just wore non membrane running/ trail shoes and sandals for summer hillwalking and scrambling in Scotland. I just waded rivers wearing them. Water came in easy but drained easy too. I only wore boots in winter.

Huntso

Go to a reputable shop with trained staff, get your feet measured and try different makes on.
Also helps if they have one of the little ramps to walk up and down on.

I prefer Meindl because they have a large toe box for my frostbite damaged toes.
My daughter likes Salomon because they are relatively narrow in the main body of the boot.

All very subjective and pointless recommending a specific make for someone else

Mike C

Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club
I'm a fan of Merrell shoes and boots - I like the way they are comfortable from the first time I wear them. You might find differently, depending on all sorts of things.

I have "waterproof" shoes which I use for general birding, places with reasonable paths.
I have "waterproof" boots for heavier weather and for more serious hill walk.

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Go to a reputable shop with trained staff, get your feet measured and try different makes on.
Also helps if they have one of the little ramps to walk up and down on.

I prefer Meindl because they have a large toe box for my frostbite damaged toes.
My daughter likes Salomon because they are relatively narrow in the main body of the boot.

All very subjective and pointless recommending a specific make for someone else
Good advice.

The 'brand' or 'style' of 'boots' that you think you want, may not be the ones that 'fit' you the best.

Fit/Function, for YOU, will be the primary determinants.

Whether boots are Vibram soled, or other, good value, or top shelf expensive, Gore-Tex lined, similar technology linings, or just plain old thick leather - I have literally destroyed them all - and I don't even think what I have done is particularly strenuous - bush walking, trekking, scrambling etc.

I always go for the Gore-Tex /other brand linings, and get the best hi-tec moisture wicking socks too.

** Another big tip is to get parachute cord for laces. Yes, I destroyed even these too, but they last many times longer than even the toughest regular heavy duty hiking boot laces.

Good luck in finding something that fits and works 👍

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread