• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wallcreeper Winter 2016 (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
Thinking about a short break this winter somewhere in Europe easily accessible from Edinburgh. Would like to have a go at Wallcreeper too, the more easily accessible the better. One thought is to go to Milan, then on to Parma with a visit to the Pietra di Bismantova. Any other ideas or suggestions welcome.

David

Last edited:
There are usually a couple showing at Avakas Gorge north of Paphos, Cyprus from November through to January/February plus plenty of other interesting things to look for!

Shane

Baux de Provence has accessible winter Wallcreepers. Plus close to Camargue and Crau for a wide variety of birdy attractions.

We get them here along with lammy amd other goodies but if i'm honest i'd go to the le baux for the additional goodies in the area - little bustard, sandgrouse, last couple of years wintering pallid harrier (although we had that one too), waders on the marshes etc etc bonellis eagle blah blah

I'm sure that you could get some flights from edinburgh as well....

It depends what else you want to see/do, on your own or with family or non-birding companion?
A particularly easy Wallcreeper is on the chateau in the center of Annecy 30 mins from Geneva airport(Easyjet return flight prices around 70GBPounds midweek in Jan 2017 I see). Snowfinch and Alpine Accentors/ Chough if you visit certain ski resorts in the area, plus Lammergeier of course.

Catalonia Spain

Assuming you're flying from Edinburgh airport - what destinations can you get to from there?

You should be able to get flights to Barcelona El Prat, Girona and may be even Reus.

My winter trips usually include Wallcreeper, Snowfinch, Alpine Accentor as well as the resident Spanish specialities, such as both sandgrouse, both bustards, Lammergeier and if course lot of other species flocking in their thousands for the plentiful food supply around the Mediterranean.

For self-guided trips the region is well provided for in terms of road network, information and the widest variety of habitat, and therefore bird species, in Europe, but if you want to check out tours click the link for Winter Itineraries on my homepage at www.catalanbirdtours.com.

By all means PM me for more info, although I'm currently on holiday, but have a great trip regardless.

You should be able to get flights to Barcelona El Prat, Girona and may be even Reus.

My winter trips usually include Wallcreeper, Snowfinch, Alpine Accentor as well as the resident Spanish specialities, such as both sandgrouse, both bustards, Lammergeier and if course lot of other species flocking in their thousands for the plentiful food supply around the Mediterranean.

For self-guided trips the region is well provided for in terms of road network, information and the widest variety of habitat, and therefore bird species, in Europe, but if you want to check out tours click the link for Winter Itineraries on my homepage at www.catalanbirdtours.com.

By all means PM me for more info, although I'm currently on holiday, but have a great trip regardless.

Forgot about stephens tours! I loved the steppes in October searching for bustards and other stuff. Pretty reliable wallcreeper in the mountains as well...

Assuming you're flying from Edinburgh airport - what destinations can you get to from there?

From the websites of the two main low cost airlines that fly from Edinburgh a selected list is

Alicante
Athens
Barcelona
Basel
Beziers
Bologna
Bordeaux
Bratislava
Bristol:-O
Dalaman
Dubrovnik
Geneva
Grenoble
Heraklion
Lyon
Madrid
Malaga
Marseille
Milan
Montpellier
Naples
Nice
Paphos
Pisa
Prague
Rome
Santander
Stuttgart
Venice
Vienna

David

Last edited:
Fly to Marseille, hire a car, stay in Arles and then you get culture, and more bird habitats than you can shake a stick at, and Wallcreepers!

Thanks Stephen, it looks like Catalunya is the destination we're choosing.

David

Barcelona Birding Winter

That's great!

Hope you both have a lovely trip. Let me know of course if you need guiding.

All the very best

Fly to Marseille, hire a car, stay in Arles and then you get culture, and more bird habitats than you can shake a stick at, and Wallcreepers!

Agreed! though the mistral can be bitter. However the last time I was there in winter there were apparently a few wallcreepers that almost everyone else saw but I missed (I wasn't looking too hard though).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back