• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Walrus in Ireland (2 Viewers)

Farnboro John

Travel restrictions and work meetings have finally aligned and I will be heading over on Wednesday, assuming it is around tomorrow.

Does it haul out every day or is there any kind of behavioural pattern? It seems to be foraging in the mornings, but the messages on Birdguides suggest it is "off the slipway" much more than it is on it.
If anything its probably tidal, with more foraging at full tide, but in truth I'm not sure there is an exact pattern. It's probably as significant that it won't go on the slipway when RNLI people are working on it, and who knows what their routine is.

Go when you can, stay as long as you feel like, and you won't go away disappointed no matter what it does, it's amazing.

John

Matt Slaymaker

There today again, on or off the Tenby lifeboat slipway.

John

Yesterday we arrived fairly early and watched it swimming around for a while, although always fairly distant and spending >80% of time under water. Went off birding around the coast for bit, then returned early afternoon and watched it sleep and generally flob about. It apparently hauled out midday-ish, give or take, and was still sleeping when we left at 4 (low tide was 14:30). Birdguides are reporting it as "off" the slipway, when it is on - so presumably just copying previous messages rather than an actual update on status.

When it is on the slipway, a couple of Welsh Marine Life Rescue volunteers seem to hang around to shout at and threaten people that get too close. They have a pretty good idea what the does and where it goes (including where it was when it wasn't being reported by the bird news services). If there is no news it may be worth giving them a ring/message to see if they know the latest.

As suggested earlier, it seems to be mostly tidal and hauling out over low water. Apparently a couple of weeks ago it came out and sleep over high tide, then the water dropped and it fell quite a substantial distance off the side of the slipway.

It is a very cool animal, and well worth the trip. Hopefully it hangs around for anyone that wants to see it.

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
Supporter
England
Cool....fingers crossed for Saturday. Is there anywhere nearish for Chough....or Puffins....or would that be a trip over to Martin Haven? Any other good sites?

Matt Slaymaker

Cool....fingers crossed for Saturday. Is there anywhere nearish for Chough....or Puffins....or would that be a trip over to Martin Haven? Any other good sites?

Chough easy enough at St Govan's head, 25-30 minutes further on. No puffins, but may be possible a bit further west on the peninsular? Stack rocks and the paths to the west were closed the other day, but should be open at the weekend.

A nice area but it might be worth the extra drive to Martin's Haven; i guess it depends on how long you've got and how much you like puffins.

Steve Babbs

A friend of mine was there from 730 - 1230 today. It was on show for most of that time and at the beginning and towards the end came within 100m - it was distant most of the time - but didn't haul itself out.

THE_FERN

Chough easy enough at St Govan's head, 25-30 minutes further on. No puffins, but may be possible a bit further west on the peninsular? Stack rocks and the paths to the west were closed the other day, but should be open at the weekend.

A nice area but it might be worth the extra drive to Martin's Haven; i guess it depends on how long you've got and how much you like puffins.
Saw 5 Chough this morning at Giltar Point headland (c 2 miles from Tenby). Also raven and distant views of the seabirds on Saint Margaret's Island

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
Supporter
England
Fab day yday....the beast was showing excellently in the morning and even better when we went back in the early afternoon! Tenby is actually a lovely place....moreso at 0700 than 1300 but it was awesome just laying back on the hill and watching a real live Walrus below!! In between we nipped down to Martin's Haven as hadn't been there since '00 and had great views of Chough and for the girlf, loadsa Puffins off Skomer. All in all one of the best days out I've had in a long time ☺ now just the 3007 photos to sift thru.....🙄😂

sidwemn

Finally got around to visiting the Walrus this week. We Spent 2 nights in the area. He showed well, hauled out on the Lifeboat Station ramp Monday afternoon. I'm told that was the first time out of the water for 5 days. Unfortunately, the Lifeboat got a call out after we had been there for a couple of hours and he had to be moved. He wouldn't move for a brush handle, but eventually moved for an Airhorn but very reluctantly.
He was still present Tuesday but a long way offshore, firstly off the Lifeboat Station then later off South Beach. We couldn't see him Wednesday morning before we left the aera.

Attachments

• 204 Walrus 01.jpg
    204 Walrus 01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 207 Walrus 01.jpg
    207 Walrus 01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 210 Walrus 01.jpg
    210 Walrus 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 212 Walrus 01.jpg
    212 Walrus 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I did wonder what the lifeboat crew did. Not many RNLI stations have to shoo a walrus before they launch!

Users who are viewing this thread