• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus in Ireland (1 Viewer)

;-) Not really. What did you mean?

Surely it would be afforded the same level of protection as any other species? If it had been an escaped porcupine or something (unlikely I guess on a slipway in Wales?) that might be different, although I guess any animal cruelty laws would still apply if any physical harm occurred directly.
Which is what I already said.

I suggest you read the RSPCA page although, that does not cover, clearly, wildly occuring, non native species.

Last edited:
Everything you need to know, should be here.

Edit: Walrus IS, specifically protected under schedules 5, Section 9.1a and 9.4a, b and c. Almost the whole of section c, is not applicable in Scotland?

Last edited:
Everything you need to know, should be here.

Edit: Walrus IS, specifically protected under schedules 5, Section 9.1a and 9.4a, b and c. Almost the whole of section c, is not applicable in Scotland?
Thanks. Interesting that it is covered specifically.

Presumably other pinnipeds/cetaceans/sea mammals are covered elsewhere perhaps in the same legislation?

"Two skippers of these vessels were identified by police, interviewed and admitted reckless disturbance of the dolphins, an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 which carries a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment and/ or a £5,000 fine"

I'm sure there are other relevant items ... hopefully local media coverage can be used to avoid problems in this case.

Planning Tenby tomorrow morning. I'll need to head home by about 10.30am so will have about four hours. All tips & recommendations gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

All the best

Paul

Planning Tenby tomorrow morning. I'll need to head home by about 10.30am so will have about four hours. All tips & recommendations gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

All the best

Paul
I parked in the Rectory pay and display car park. It’s at the junction of Victoria Street and S Cliff Street. It’s about a 10 minute walk to the Lifeboat Station.

If its feeding the Walrus can be quite a way out in the bay left of the Lifeboat Station, so scanning will have to take in quite an area. However it has a few favoured spots where it may be more than other areas: either of the two buoys near the Lifeboat Station (one either side of it), or the big drum-shaped buoy that the lifeboats get moored to when they aren't in the station or harbour. The last is left of the Lifeboat Station (as viewed from the coast path, for all this stuff).

If it goes on the ramp or looks like it might, you want to be right of the Lifeboat Station to get a decent angle.

Best of luck!

John

I beleive we are now allowed in as the 12th April stage of restriction easing in England has been implemented

We saw it on the first day and having a drink wasn’t a problem at all. Most of the Tenby pubs were doing takeaways and street and beach drinking seemed compulsory

Apparently hauled out around 10ish. (I could not get there prior to lunch) and it was on the slipway for the 90 mins I stayed. Car park has cash machine £3.00 for 2 hours and a card machine. Toilets 40p contact less payment which was unexpected. Constant turn-over of people while I was there. 95 percent local(ish) sightseers, mostly staying 1 to 2 mins. Lots of room on hill above footpath to spread out. You may not see it as you approach the lifeboat station, only once you have passed it.

Attachments

• walrus 1.JPG
    walrus 1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Travel restrictions and work meetings have finally aligned and I will be heading over on Wednesday, assuming it is around tomorrow.

Does it haul out every day or is there any kind of behavioural pattern? It seems to be foraging in the mornings, but the messages on Birdguides suggest it is "off the slipway" much more than it is on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back