• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus in Ireland (1 Viewer)

More chance of a Walrus than an Englishman right now
Englishman living in England is banned. The restrictions do not include British that are resident anywhere in the EU - I can freely travel to Austria (and France) without any restriction ...and due to vaccination, also no isolation required or Covid tests. Think the Walrus's odds are still lower.

Last edited:
Englishman living in England is banned. The restrictions do not include British that are resident anywhere in the EU - I can freely travel to Austria (and France) without any restriction ...and due to vaccination, also no isolation required or Covid tests. Think the Walrus's odds are still lower.
Firstly, typical Stratford, secondly, where did I suggest that a Walrus may turn up in Austria, a land locked country?

The restrictions also don't apply to citizens of EU countries who live in the UK. Presumably they can't transmit the Indian variant.

Firstly, typical Stratford, secondly, where did I suggest that a Walrus may turn up in Austria, a land locked country?
What's typical? Twice in this thread it is stated that people from Britain are banned from France and Austria (though I failed to see the link between the Walrus and Austria ... typical Adcock). I pointed out that actually it is British persons resident in Britain that are subject to restrictions, rather than merely persons from Britain. Any of the many British that are resident in the EU, which includes quite a few on Birdforum, are able to travel freely to see this Walrus if they choose ...or indeed to Austria :)

Last edited:
The restrictions also don't apply to citizens of EU countries who live in the UK. Presumably they can't transmit the Indian variant.
Most, or maybe all, EU countries have a constitution that would make it illegal to prevent their own citizens returning. In most or all cases, however, they do however have to test negative and isolate on return from red-listed countries, this including the UK in specific cases.

What is the most southerly genuine record of a Walrus? And how often have they reached northern Spain? And will it continue down to Morocco?
The only one of those I can answer at all helpfully is that its on the list of Spanish mammals on Wikipedia as a vagrant (but of course it may have only just been added!)

It might continue to Morocco or keep following the coast to Portugal and round Gibratar into the Med. Who knows!

John

The Walrus has had an attack of common sense and turned back Northwards: anyone who hasn't yet seen it in Britain might consider a Skybus booking as it's at Porthcressa on St Mary's this evening.

John

The Walrus has had an attack of common sense and turned back Northwards: anyone who hasn't yet seen it in Britain might consider a Skybus booking as it's at Porthcressa on St Mary's this evening.

John
That's a surprise - I have just read the Birdguides weekly summary and it was in Santander a few days ago.

Seems to have lost it fear of humans (if it ever had any?) on it's travels, that can't be good.
It showed little to no fear of humans in Tenby, that's why the RNLI needed an air horn to get it off the ramp. Seemed to me from the video that once it was aware of the boat's human operator, it stopped trying to get on board. I don't suppose Walruses meet many humans in the Arctic.

John

It showed little to no fear of humans in Tenby, that's why the RNLI needed an air horn to get it off the ramp. Seemed to me from the video that once it was aware of the boat's human operator, it stopped trying to get on board. I don't suppose Walruses meet many humans in the Arctic.

John
If they'd used the right end of the brush they might not have needed the air horn. On the photos I saw they were holding the brush & trying to poke it with the stale!

John
From it's route, I think it's compiling a 'Lonely Planet' style reference for the best Piniped 'haul outs' in Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back