• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus now in Northumberland? (1 Viewer)

I reckon a walrus - a species that shrugs off full-on attacks from Polar Bears - that has spent time in a working naval dockyard roosting on a working submarine doesn't need the well-meaning but basically ignorant bleatings of these people to keep it safe.

John

I reckon a walrus - a species that shrugs off full-on attacks from Polar Bears - that has spent time in a working naval dockyard roosting on a working submarine doesn't need the well-meaning but basically ignorant bleatings of these people to keep it safe.

John
I feel like the aim is to keep the people safe.

If someone gets too close and injures themselves the walruses days might become numbered?

I feel like the aim is to keep the people safe.

If someone gets too close and injures themselves the walruses days might become numbered?
No, I don't think so. We can still recognise idiots in this country. I think it's called contributory negligence, not that the Walrus has public liability insurance....

Plus there are more people in this country than Walruses in the world, so the relative conservation value of a human is basically zilch, or considering the damage they do, possibly less than zilch. NFA in the event of an injury, anyway.

John

I wonder how self-centered somebody has to be to consider killing an animal as a way to "improve its welfare". Do they seriously think that being watched by too many people is worse than DEATH?

Wow can't the local police do their job and ensure the crowds aren't bothering the animal? Surely the people visiting it are aware of the possibility of it being euthanised due to their moronic behaviour! It must be bringing in some decent money for the locals via the visitors, you would have thought they might have policed matters themselves.

They are also one of the countries still killing Whales. Disgraceful, even backward.
It's interesting (relevant?) that human rights are big in Norway, at least in some contexts such as Anders Behring Breivik*. Is it some kind of issue/pragmatism which is hard to understand for the rest of us?

*(Murdered 95 people, but will serve at least 10 years in prison, and was allowed under the Norwegian Justice system to sue the government that his human rights had been taken away).

Last edited:
Truly an appalling action by Norwegian authorities. UK, France and Spain all managed to coexist with the visiting Walrus, but the 'advanced' nation of Norway could not see fit to celebrate the arrival of this animal, or at least tolerate it until it departed.

Given this Walrus was apparently popular, why weren't the Norwegian public up in arms when the authorities announcing they would kill it?

Shame on Norway, shame on the public for allowing it to happen. Absolutely no excuse, police the folk getting too close if deemed necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back