• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Want the best 3D effect- 8x56 vs 10x56 slc (1 Viewer)

jaymann

I saw slc 8x56 in a store I really like to eyebox and that’s it. Where is the wow effect!???
They did not have 10x56 in store to compare.

Which bingo will give brightest 3D view with wow effect?

My el 12x50 has wow effect! I don’t like my 2015 el 8.5x42 anymore!

Please advise.

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
Any 3-D effect is very hard to determine in any binoculars. Some porro types exhibit some 3-D
effect, because of the wider spaced objectives.

As far as wow effect, that is up to the viewers experience and attitude.

You should know, you cannot evaluate a binocular in a store.

Jerry

PeterPS

I saw slc 8x56 in a store I really like to eyebox and that’s it. Where is the wow effect!???
They did not have 10x56 in store to compare.

Please advise.

There is no perfect "bingo", there are only compromises! Your EL 12x50 is an excellent bino and imo you have hardly any reason for considering adding the SLC 10x56 to your set. The SLC 8x56, on the other hand, may be a useful addition especially if you are a hunter or like watching owls; and needless to say, the 8x will have more DoF than the 10x.

Tringa45

Europe
Unfortunately, I'm slowly getting accustomed to the "wow effect" of my 8x56 SLCs.
The downside is that the view through my 10x42s, despite similar AFOV and adequate eye relief, feels constricted somehow; I'm reluctant to use my 8x33s at all and regard pocket bins as unusable toys! :-(

John

Mark9473

Belgium

If your definition of 3D effect is seeing the object in focus very strongly separated from a blurry foreground and background, then what you need is higher magnification. If you also want brightness then look for high light transmission and sufficiently large objective size.

PeterPS

If your definition of 3D effect is seeing the object in focus very strongly separated from a blurry foreground and background, then what you need is higher magnification. If you also want brightness then look for high light transmission and sufficiently large objective size.

I believe what you describe is called a bokeh effect. If the OP wants a "3D effect", then he should choose either a good porro (such as the Nikon SE 8x32) or a low-magnification roof. He also seems to want a "wow effect", and that's not only hard to define but also heavily dependent on personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread