• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wanted: most beautiful illustrated bird encyclopaedia (1 Viewer)

black robin

United Kingdom
Hello everyone! :)

Maybe there is already a thread for this but I was not able to find any. Understandably, most bird watchers are very much interested in guide books that make identifying birds as easy as possible – but this is not what I am looking for right now. I am looking for an encyclopaedia listing a vast array of different birds from A to Z with beautiful illustrations purely for aesthetic reasons. Just to appreciate their beauty, really! And maybe learn something new about them too.
What made me look into this is a recent birthday gift from my partner: "The Complete Language of Flowers: A Definitive and Illustrated History" by S. Theresa Dietz. It is an encyclopaedia of flowers that appreciates their beauty and the meaning they have been given by people over the centuries. A truly wonderful treasure chest of gorgeous illustration and intriguing notes about the different flowers. My partner, who adores birds, remarked that he would love to find a book similar to the one he gifted me – but about birds.
After searching the web for a while, I still haven't quite found a book that hits the mark. I'm looking for beautiful illustrations, maybe even whimsical (think vintage / Victorian illustrations), with the written information about the particular bird kept to a minimum. Anyone ever come across something like that?

Many thanks in advance! <3

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Sorry, but I can't help you with your search but I'm sure you will get many suggestions.

Hello everyone! :)

Maybe there is already a thread for this but I was not able to find any. Understandably, most bird watchers are very much interested in guide books that make identifying birds as easy as possible – but this is not what I am looking for right now. I am looking for an encyclopaedia listing a vast array of different birds from A to Z with beautiful illustrations purely for aesthetic reasons. Just to appreciate their beauty, really! And maybe learn something new about them too.
What made me look into this is a recent birthday gift from my partner: "The Complete Language of Flowers: A Definitive and Illustrated History" by S. Theresa Dietz. It is an encyclopaedia of flowers that appreciates their beauty and the meaning they have been given by people over the centuries. A truly wonderful treasure chest of gorgeous illustration and intriguing notes about the different flowers. My partner, who adores birds, remarked that he would love to find a book similar to the one he gifted me – but about birds.
After searching the web for a while, I still haven't quite found a book that hits the mark. I'm looking for beautiful illustrations, maybe even whimsical (think vintage / Victorian illustrations), with the written information about the particular bird kept to a minimum. Anyone ever come across something like that?

Many thanks in advance! <3
Hi. Maybe this book?

Hello,
welcome to birdforum from me, too. Maybe you want to have these?
Lars Jonsson: Birds and Light - The Art of Lars Jonsson
Yes, its in German and only about waders, but you will love this. Trust me: "Strandläufer: Naturkundliche Impressionen von der Nordseeküste by Christopher Schmidt"

Hello! This looks amazing, thank you so much!! :love:
Open to more suggestions but from what I've seen & read about it so far (unfortunately there aren't that many pictures from inside the book), this could be it. Will try to find it at Waterstone's to have a browse through it myself before buying :)
some more pictures from the book

Attachments

• the_bird_philip_kennedy_laurence_king_2.jpg
    the_bird_philip_kennedy_laurence_king_2.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 26
  • unnamed-3-scaled.jpg
    unnamed-3-scaled.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • the_bird_philip_kennedy_laurence_king_4.jpg
    the_bird_philip_kennedy_laurence_king_4.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 25
  • the_bird_philip_kennedy_laurence_king_3.jpg
    the_bird_philip_kennedy_laurence_king_3.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 274588569_10159378344926858_1504629644647495942_n.jpg
    274588569_10159378344926858_1504629644647495942_n.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 25
  • 274681425_10159378344921858_647396110041572159_n.jpg
    274681425_10159378344921858_647396110041572159_n.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello again, been a little while now!
With my partner's birthday coming up I remembered this thread and went back to have a look through the suggestions. In the end I went for The Bird by Philip Kennedy and I'm so excited for it to arrive :love:
Many thanks for all your help!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back