• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - Bulgaria. (1 Viewer)

Nikolai Kolev

I saw this bird today, near river Sazliika, in the middle of the country. There was a lot of blackcaps. When i saw this photo, on my computer, first i thought it was a female blackcap, but the bill looks strange. More stronger and with yellow lower part. Blackcap or something else ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-184339.png
    Screenshot_20210408-184339.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 131
Looks like an acrocephalus warbler.

edit: Apologies, I am talking nonsense with those short undertail coverts. How about Booted warbler?

Last edited:
I would like to see more pictures, too, but why not a Willow Warbler? I cant see much wrong for it
Edit: yes, bill seems on the strong, blunt side for a WW and many WW have a dark tip to the bill

Last edited:
I’m not sure those utcs are as short as they appear in the image - the bill and feet look like a Reed Warbler to me. Never seen a Blackcap with pinkish legs and an orange lower mandible and the bill looks too stout for a phylosc - tricky image.

Looking at this picture again, and knowing that this is the only one I am undecided now. It might indeeed be a Reed Warbler with unusual short undertail-coverts or a Willow Warbler.
But I still ask myself this question, why is this such a tricky image? Yes, parts of this bird are hidden, but I get the feeling, that this is not the right answer here.
I hope for others to jump in and help me answering this question.

The bill is too stout for a WW, there is no hint of a supercilium before or over the eye and it is quite uniformly brown around the face and head. I cannot see a Bloackcap but a Reed Warbler type for me as well.

Thanks Nikolai (it never hurts to see two individual birds in the same tree under the same lighting conditions)

Re. Alex’s point - I quite liked Daniels suggestion of Booted as an explainer for ’short utcs’, however, the short emargination on p3 would be visible even in the OP partially obscured features imo. Also the crown looks quite warm brown. I prefer, as an explanation for the utcs is that they are also partially obscured by vegetation and shadow so I can’t see anything to rule out Reed Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back