NKR2017

Seen in a hedgerow on farmland (Notts).

Juvenile chiffchaff/willow warbler?

Attachments

• warblertypequery.jpg
    warblertypequery.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 279

Alexander Stöhr

I cant help. This bird lacks a clear white throat, whitish outer tail feathers, and although colours are difficult to judge due to warm light, this seems a Willow/Chiffchaff to me. More. I cant see contrasting tertials and I just can make out greeenish tones in the upperparts.

But which one? Although the bill seems large and pale (shouldnt even the Chiffies with the most extensive pale lower mandible still have a dark tip? Thats my experience), and the first colour impression says Willow, head pattern and PP (although difficult to judge, espacially on a bird with still growing feathers), I would set my money on a juvenile Chiffchaff.

MalR

Surely structure and head shape are wrong for chiffchaff or willow warbler? Looks good for whitethroat to me. The image is underexposed, so I tweaked it a bit (hope the OP doesn't mind), which I think helps to confirm common whitethroat. A young bird maybe?

Malcolm

Attachments

• warblertypequery copy.jpg
    warblertypequery copy.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 168

NKR2017

Thanks for the responses.

I don't think it's a whitethroat? Seemed smaller than that, and the colouration was yellow/buff/brown.

I've attached an additional image with the mystery warbler on the left, and on the right, a juvenile whitethroat taken on the same morning (to help show the colour difference).

Attachments

• querywarblervwhitethroat.jpg
    querywarblervwhitethroat.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 140

Andy Adcock

Fractious Member of ill repute
England
After a long hard look and without looking at other suggestions, I concluded Whitethroat, they would be very prominent 'spectacles' for a Willowchaff?

Michał Jaro

I delete the first comment because I have not read all messages, I am sorry
But I still think it's a whitethroat - look at the eyering and greater coverts. strongly points the whitethroat.

Last edited:

Mark Lew1s

My real name is Mark Lewis
Juv willow/chiff

The eyering is often prominent in juvenile phylloscs - see https://www.picfair.com/pics/05839968-immature-willow-warbler

The tertials are far too plain for a whitethroat, and it has a very prominent emargination on P3, which is not good for whitethroat, but much better for willow/chiff. The position of the p3 emargination on the wing and in relation to the other emarginations suggests this is a willow warbler, but I wouldn’t be sure.

Also - whitethroat would have paler legs than this

Last edited:

Mark Lew1s

My real name is Mark Lewis
Willow warbler only gets its strong yellow tones after its post juv moult - so the yellow ones are first winters rather than juvs. While in juvenile plumage, willow warblers can be very dull underneath.

NKR2017

Thanks everyone - and particularly Mark for the additional info. Will mark down as a juvenile chiffchaff/willow warbler.

(For completeness, I've attached a final photo of the query bird in a different position)

Attachments

• WarblerQueryAdditionalImages.jpg
    WarblerQueryAdditionalImages.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread