• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID Mallorca, Spain (1 Viewer)

Mergus1

the Bavarian Birder
Hi guys,

seen this warbler in Cabrera National Park, Mallorca, on April 17th. It´s been a pretty good day for migration and the island's bushes were full of birds. This one didn´t quite fit with my impression of the other western subalpine warblers I´ve seen there. Also the call was a bit more blackcap-ish. You think there´s a chance for eastern subalpine? Or even Moltonis? All three have been recorded on the island this spring.

Thanks for helping out!

Cheers
Marcel

Attachments

• PM-18.jpg
    PM-18.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 77
  • PM-19.jpg
    PM-19.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 77
In the second image the bird looks quite like Moltoni's with that pinkish throat and breast and slightly blue-grey head and mantle. On the other hand, the wash on the underparts looks a bit too extensive in the first image and your description of the call doesn't sound right for Moltoni's, which has a rattling call. It doesn't appear to have a full red orbital ring, so it may be a male Western that has not reached full maturity. The slight dark lower border to the cheek may also be better for Western.

I was thinking a subalpine warbler species maybe western? I concur with the points Andy stated. Is there any way to differentiate eastern and western subalpine warblers without taking DNA samples?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back