• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID (Melodious/Icterine Warbler), Tuscany, July 2011 (1 Viewer)

BrockwellBee

I am having trouble identifying this bird. It was seen briefly at the top of a pine tree. I gather that is is either a Melodious of an Icterine Warbler (possibly a Willow Warbler). However, I have yet to pinpoint which. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• Warbler.jpg
    Warbler.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 241
  • Garden Warbler.jpg
    Garden Warbler.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 252
That subtle yellow suffusion to the throat? Thick, heavy neck? Bill? Major flat sloping forehead thingy? Profile in pic 2?
Unfortunately, a photo from the front only. But, on location, and date?
I'll leave you to make your own mind up people.
I'm not saying what it is. Or what it is not. But here's a nice bird from the nets in Dorset, England. Yesterday.

http://www.portlandbirdobs.org.uk/aa_latestnews.htm

Here are the heads side by side - I still see a Phyllosc crown shape, but the photos are not ideal

Circumstantially, I'm not sure I've ever seen Hippo perch on the top of a tree - especially a pine tree! Its quite expected for e.g. Bonellis Warbler

Attachments

• warblers.png
    warblers.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 106
not sure the picture shows enough for a certain ID, I see a hippo, if I read the photo correctly (large obvious eye, pale lores, long bill) but I wouldn't bet on it. Here where Melodious warbler is a common breeder they often do perch on top of trees, especially to sing, in fact, when they're in song they're probably easier to see than any other warbler here!

Mmm...I only saw it briefly, very early in the morning, I did not hear it sing but it seemed to be feeding in that tree or in the smaller trees below. FYI this is what a local said on another forum which is quiet interesting:

"As far as I can see from the photos, it is a Melodious Warbler. It is locally very common in Tuscany, especially on Chianti, around Volterra and in Maremma areas).
Icterine Warbler is only a migrant (usually in May - but common only on the small islands off the coast, much rare inland - and, more scarcely, in September/October), as also Willow Warbler (April and September/October)."

I have brightened the photos (below) if that makes thing any easier.

Attachments

• Warbler ID.jpg
    Warbler ID.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Warbler ID 2.jpg
    Warbler ID 2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 123
Willow Warbler. The base of the bill isn't really wide enough for either Icky or Melodius, the head ( crown ) shape doesn't seem angular enough - although that is variable depending on the positionof the feathers - and the extent of the yellow supercillium is more like a Phyllosop than a Hippo.

Chris

I'll leave you to make your own mind up people.

wise words indeed, except you then went on to try to brainwash people through suggestive means by posting a photo of a Melodious Warbler

:t:

a dirty trick, Phil, and one I will not lower myself to matching by suggesting that seeing a Melodious Warbler on top of a pine tree would be so incongruous as to be akin to seeing a Cory's Shearwater on my nyger feeder

wise words indeed, except you then went on to try to brainwash people through suggestive means by posting a photo of a Melodious Warbler

:t:

a dirty trick, Phil, and one I will not lower myself to matching by suggesting that seeing a Melodious Warbler on top of a pine tree would be so incongruous as to be akin to seeing a Cory's Shearwater on my nyger feeder

Have you not read Derren Brown's books???;):eek!:

Mmm...I only saw it briefly, very early in the morning, I did not hear it sing but it seemed to be feeding in that tree or in the smaller trees below.

How was is feeding - lumbering about like a Melodious or dashing about and flycatching like a Phyllosc? And how was it in flight - Melodious look short winged, barely airworthy and like a just fledged chick.

Last edited:
To be honest Jane, It was only a brief glimpse but it did not seem to be flycatching, it was hidden in the trees and undergrowth for a lot of the time and very shy (if that gives anything away?). This may be a case of not being able to exactly identify it.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Hippo perch on the top of a tree - especially a pine tree!

Hi Jane
i have seen Icterines sitting singing from tops of Pine Trees in Poland but never seen a Melodious doing it in Spain. With this bird im in Phyllosc / hippo camp! (because basically i have no idea!)

d

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back