• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

WARBLER ID please. (1 Viewer)

Ian Byrnes

Good Morning...took this shot in the Wyre Forest, Worcestershire over the weekend & can't get a proper ID.
Can you help please.
(Got no call by the way)
Regards
Ian

Attachments

• _DSC0625.JPG
    _DSC0625.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 49
  • _DSC0627.JPG
    _DSC0627.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
  • _DSC0628.JPG
    _DSC0628.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 50
  • _DSC0629.JPG
    _DSC0629.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 52

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Ian,

when you identified it in the field as a Chiffchaff, than it was one. There is more visible/judgeable there than in pictures. I agree with you and Rob, that this isnt a Melodious Warber, but although it was one of those difficult to ID very young Chiffchaffs/Willow Warblers on first jizz, there was a strange feeling. Looking for reasons produced this:
  • strong legs
  • appearant unusual head pattern with the upper eye-ring whiter and more prominent than the lower half
  • slightly unusual, broad shaped bill-shape
I am not at the best screen to judge yellowish and buffish hues rhight now, so I skip these.
I hope this doesnt come out as an offense, as it might well be a Chiffchaff, but: do you have more pictures, that help to eleminate a juvenile Garden Warbler with confidence?

Ian Byrnes

Hello Ian,

when you identified it in the field as a Chiffchaff, than it was one. There is more visible/judgeable there than in pictures. I agree with you and Rob, that this isnt a Melodious Warber, but although it was one of those difficult to ID very young Chiffchaffs/Willow Warblers on first jizz, there was a strange feeling. Looking for reasons produced this:
  • strong legs
  • appearant unusual head pattern with the upper eye-ring whiter and more prominent than the lower half
  • slightly unusual, broad shaped bill-shape
I am not at the best screen to judge yellowish and buffish hues rhight now, so I skip these.
I hope this doesnt come out as an offense, as it might well be a Chiffchaff, but: do you have more pictures, that help to eleminate a juvenile Garden Warbler with confidence?
Thanks for your help Alexander & Trystan. I have no more pics but I'll settle for a Chiffchaff as I have nothing else to go on.
Many thanks.

Ian Byrnes

That's an amazing sighting. Hope it convinces the relevant committes. Cheers.
It certainly did convince many...the recorders for Warks & Worcs photographed and registered it. A fantastic find. Unfortunately when it comes to it my knowledge falls very short of some of our local experts. I have identified a few semi rarities myself like Redpoll Icelandica & what I thought was a Marsh Warbler. Although photographs were taken unless experts see their habits, peculiarities & hear their call,the identification often will fall back to safety.
Thanks for your comments
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread