• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
This little bird was scurrying around in the woods, generally on the floor among felled branches and rarely flew off the ground. I didn't hear any call, e.g. the distinctive call of the willow warbler. Based on behaviour, I thought this bird was different to a willow warbler but then I only see them after I've heard them singing in the tops of trees so as far as I know they could well like to scurry around in the undergrowth at other times. In terms of size, I thought chiffchaff size but then the bill would rule that out? The bird's bill looks more like wood warbler to me, but darker legs would suggest willow warbler? As you can tell, not fully clear to me! And, the quality of the picture doesn't help because it suggests a bit less white than expected on a wood warbler but this could just be the light playing tricks.

As you can see I'm 50/50 on wood/willow: legs look more willow; bill looks more wood. Chiffchaff possibility based on size but the bill looks too strong to me. Outside possibility that the bird is neither of the three mentioned and is some other warbler.

Either way, 'looking forward to hear what bird this is and the defining feature in this picture that sets it apart from others.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Warbrler ID.jpg
    Warbrler ID.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
Unless you were in a (very) few upland woods in NW or W Durham, the default is going to be between willow warbler and chiffchaff. As aeshna5 says. head pattern and leg colour (pale) point to willow warbler, but a long primary projection would clinch it. Some willow warblers do look very yellow breasted too, which could suggest wood warbler.
Although you do indeed tend to see willow (and wood) warblers in trees, both species nest on the ground, so both can be seen on the ground when they are close to the nest.

Unless you were in a (very) few upland woods in NW or W Durham, the default is going to be between willow warbler and chiffchaff. As aeshna5 says. head pattern and leg colour (pale) point to willow warbler, but a long primary projection would clinch it. Some willow warblers do look very yellow breasted too, which could suggest wood warbler.
Although you do indeed tend to see willow (and wood) warblers in trees, both species nest on the ground, so both can be seen on the ground when they are close to the nest.

Many thanks everyone.

I probably should have posted this one first, but didn't realise I had it until digging back through pictures.

I'm guessing lack of a more rounded head would rule out chiffchaff, and length of tail would rule out wood warbler?

Attachments

• Warbler ID.jpg
    Warbler ID.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back