• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler Identification (1 Viewer)

Ian Cockburn

Two warblers seen today at Bempton Cliffs. Possible Greenish Warbler and Arctic Warbler?????

Attachments

• IMG_0280_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0280_edited-1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0281_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0281_edited-1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0298_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0298_edited-1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 234
I think the first two are Yellow-browed Warblers but the last isn't (not enough contrast in the wing, for starters). It looks potentially good for Arctic, although I'd like to see better pictures.

I think the 3rd's head pattern is all YBW, the wing bars are a bit covered and the tertail pattern concealed.

It shows a dark forehead, which is good for Arctic but wrong for YBW. The wing bars aren't covered. The pale tips to the greater coverts are visible and there's no obvious second wing bar. It also lacks the blackish greater coverts of YBW and the black base to the secondaries. There are quite a lot of reasons it's not a Yellow-browed.

It shows a dark forehead, which is good for Arctic but wrong for YBW. The wing bars aren't covered. The pale tips to the greater coverts are visible and there's no obvious second wing bar. It also lacks the blackish greater coverts of YBW and the black base to the secondaries. There are quite a lot of reasons it's not a Yellow-browed.

Agree with this Andrew. No way a Yellow-browed for pic 3

Yes - it no longer looks as YB to me now either - as its overexposed was thinking some features were blown out...sorry guys!

Hi,
interesting post. Should be Arctic. Nothwithstanding the semi-obscured areas in the photo the forehead area if read correctly and the supercilium shape on #3 suggest greenish warbler. Lacks the blotchy cheeks as well for a first autumn arctic. Interestingly a lot of records for greenish seem to put the emphasis on perceived smaller than chiffchaff! Anybody else really sure this is an arctic? In other parts of the world 1st autumn arctic is less green olive than in this photo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back