• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Warbler in Gulf of Thailand? Today afternoon (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

I have problem with a warbler that I spotted in Gulf of Thailand today. I look in my book "Birds of Thailand" and I cannot find any warbler with black tipped tail and a white / beige band around the head with a blackish cap. I have also checked tailor birds. Any one that kind be so kind to assist? See attached picture #1

Bird in picture #2 +3 +4+5 I ran in to the bird sitting together with the warbler. I thought that they must be hungry here in the middle of Gulf of Thailand. So Iput out some rice (They never touched the fruit I put out for them) When I go to check them I discover that it is now 2 what I was first ID as a Plain-backed Sparrow. Sparrow because of the white stripe in the wing. Plain because of the colour of the eye ring. And on some pictures is almost looking like the back is plain, but on some it looks striked.

But the colour is not right, but the only birds with white stripe in the wing. Russet Sparrow, but the colour is not making me happy about that ID either, and Russet Sparrow is blackish under the eye.

Would be appreciated if someone knew the ID of the birds. I checked sparrows and buntings in my book, but only sparrows have the with stripe in the wings according to my book.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 58
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 57

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
1. Black-browed Reed Warbler
2-5 House Sparrows

Grahame
Thank you very much Grahame!

The Black-browed Reed Warbler in my book have a very short brow, ending at the same level as the black stripe that goes through the eye. On my picture it looks like the black brow and the white stripe goes around the head making it look like a cap for me.

I have the Indian Sparrow (House Sparrow, Passer Domesticus) and the bird are grey with grey eye browe and dark grey ring around the eye.

So this I would never have found out so I appreciate your help very much

Thanks again
Aladdin

johnallcock

Black-browed RW has quite a long and broad supercilium, reaching well behind the eye (as on this bird, which I agree is BBRW).
I don't think the pale supercilium or black brow go all around the head on this bird, but I think there is a slight illusion caused by the angle of the head and similarity of colour between the plumage and the background, which is making the brown rear to the head slightly harder to see.

It's very unusual to see a BBRW in the open like this - they are usually really skulking and difficult to see. Is it a tired migrant on a ship?

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Black-browed RW has quite a long and broad supercilium, reaching well behind the eye (as on this bird, which I agree is BBRW).
I don't think the pale supercilium or black brow go all around the head on this bird, but I think there is a slight illusion caused by the angle of the head and similarity of colour between the plumage and the background, which is making the brown rear to the head slightly harder to see.

It's very unusual to see a BBRW in the open like this - they are usually really skulking and difficult to see. Is it a tired migrant on a ship?
Thank you!

I look at the picture and it for sure looks like it goes around the neck. But it is most likely illusion as you say, the bird turn its head to the left making it looks like it goes around.

Also on the picture the tip of the tail is black and the rump beige and the picture in my book have the bird with all black tail

Bongkot Gas Field and a couple of months ago it was full of birds, Paradise Flycatcher have been there. I have seen a lot of birds, able to ID just a few. Now the migration is over and not many birds any more. Not seen any warbler for a long time and was surprised to see this one.

And you are right, the birds looked to be exhausted even though quick enough to get away from me and my camera, but just a few meters at the time. No good pictures. Anyway, I felt sorry for the birds and I put out fruit and no interest to eat until I put out steamed rice.

The rice attracted the House Sparrows, thanks to Grahame for ID because the colour is nothing I have seen before and very different from my book

Kind regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread