• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Warbler, Merseyside (1 Viewer)

bradinho

Can anyone make anything of these please.

In the field it appeared to be feeding on berries and gave the impression of a common whitethroat but reviewing the pics always throws kn some doubts !?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 223

bradinho

Thanks ppl. Being a tadge colour blind and over-analysing pics has its downside .... though it does resemble this one a tadge .... ?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 125

Jane Turner

In fact are you sure there weren't two birds... any other photos?

Slight wing bar, nice pale tertial edges, brown not rufous and a suggestion of under tc blotches

If you'd only shown this photos I'd have strongly suggested Barred warbler. It got the feel of one!

Last edited:

Jane Turner

It has to be a two bird theory - I don't see how a whitethroat could manage to look like the 2nd photo... and its hard to see how a Barred W could look like the 1st one!

Phil Carter

I'm reading it as the OP hoping the first pic was a Barred, comparing it to a known Barred in pic 2. If you catch my drift.

Phil

bradinho

Sorry ppl, the 2nd pic is of a barred warbler from Cley, just a quick net search for a 1st winter bird. In my rush my wording wasnt great - nice to see your ID skills are spot on, thanks for pointing out some of the differences though they do look similar in my colour blind world .... interestingly a mate who suggested I post these pics is colour blind too unbeknown to me!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread