• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Northern Greece (1 Viewer)

Hello Ody,
do you have more pictures of this bird, that could well make this an easy one?
When I first saw this, my initial gut feeling was: this has surely to be a ruffled Spotted Flycatcher.
  • But knowing that you ID it as some kind of warbler in the field,
  • the bill seems to short and not broad based enough
  • there seems to be some reddish hues in the eye-ring

the other option was an eastern Subalpine Warbler.
But these are very different species. I hope for more pictures and comments! Please help!

Hello Ody,
do you have more pictures of this bird, that could well make this an easy one?
When I first saw this, my initial gut feeling was: this has surely to be a ruffled Spotted Flycatcher.
  • But knowing that you ID it as some kind of warbler in the field,
  • the bill seems to short and not broad based enough
  • there seems to be some reddish hues in the eye-ring

the other option was an eastern Subalpine Warbler.
But these are very different species. I hope for more pictures and comments! Please help!
Yes see what you mean about spotted fly. But I think the reddish tinge to the underparts and the quite clear eye ring rules this out. The tail does appear short, but suspect that's due to foreshortening in the image. So a warbler for me (and subalpine would be a good shout)

Still a Spotted Flycatcher to me. I don't think there is actually an orbital ring and I don't see any reddish tinge; brownish tones on flanks are normal. Despite the distant and blurry pic streaking on breast and forehead are still well visible. If it were a e.g. Subalpine you'd see the white in tail from this angle.

Still a Spotted Flycatcher to me. I don't think there is actually an orbital ring and I don't see any reddish tinge; brownish tones on flanks are normal. Despite the distant and blurry pic streaking on breast and forehead are still well visible. If it were a e.g. Subalpine you'd see the white in tail from this angle.
Agree with this. Also the tiny feet rule out warblers, and being dark adds to it. Spotted Fly.

By the head (shape, pattern, colour).
The bird has clearly just bathed this may account for the “apparent” crown streaking.

There is a very clear demarcation line between the ear coverts and throat, also the rest of head and what can be seen of the mantle is a “smooth concolourous” unstreaked tone of grey brown, perhaps more in keeping with Pied over Spotted?

Also one might be forgiven for seeing white webbing to the tertials positioned correctly aligned with the pale mark off the primary coverts and with no definite contrast streaking to underparts or upperparts?

Cheers

Looks to me like it’s drying off in the sun?

Cheers
To me it looks like it may be sunning, but I don't see any obvious evidence of wet plumage (not at all to be honest). It may also be that it was photographed in the split second before taking off (or just as it's taking off), hence the blurred bits. Just speculation. Spotted Fly regardless.

To me it looks like it may be sunning, but I don't see any obvious evidence of wet plumage (not at all to be honest).
I could be wrong, but it seems that way for me. Further I think my comments regarding the apparent white markings to the wing need addressing, not to mention the lack of contrasting streaking to the body or the wings.
Whichever way, I certainly wouldn’t put any real value on an image such as this.

Cheers

Wing pattern is fine for Spotted as equal-width, thin edges to tertials form a rectangular wing panel; along with thin pale edges to GCs. Pied would show bolder patterns on both. As for the primary patch Spotted actually can show a very small and very diffuse 'flash' just after the primary coverts (e.g. Spotted Flycatcher and five young birds,, Spotted Flycatcher( Spotted Flycatcher) Bird Mongolia).
I don't understand what you mean by "streaking to upperparts", non-juv Spotteds don't show any streaking to their upperparts.
If it were Euro. Pied (or any WP Ficedula) once again you would've seen the white markings on tail.

Hello to all,
what a pitty that there are no more pictures. This has turned into a thread where I read and learn. Reasons:
  • I can only look at this on one device. And I still see the reddish hues in the white area around the eye, hue and impression good for a Subalpine Warbler. But thats the reason, why I look difficult pictures on more than one device.
  • experienced members, from which I learned much have voted for Spotted or Pied Flycatcher.
Conclusion? Thanks to all!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back