• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler or Chiffchaff or what else?? (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi all,

Here you have some pictures about a bird that is driving us crazy.

Seen last weekend in Spain. Here you have the pcitures. I would like to know your opinion.

Thanks!!

PICTURE 1
PICTURE 2
PICTURE 3

Someone said Willow warbler, but I think it's not posssible, as it has no distinct supercilium and the primary projection is not long.
Some others said Melodious warbler, but the bill does not fit with it IMO
And also (Iberian) Chiffchaff, but in this case I think the bill is too strong for it, and the legs too pale.

So I really have no idea!! Help!! xD

Last edited:
Don't you think it's too yellow for it? Also legs are pale, ant it's missing the grey neck side. Also the primary projection looks too short for Garden warbler.
I certainly agree the primary projection looks much too short for Garden Warbler.

Garden Warbler, PP looked short due to movement/photography angle.

Omar

On the third photo the primary projection looks perfect, and on all photos the greyish tinge on sides of neck is visible.
Due to strong backlight the feet look yellowish-brown and almost translucent, but on the first photo the true, bluish grey colour is quite obvious, in spite of the light condition.

In other words undoubtedly a Garden Warbler.

Peter

Don't you think it's too yellow for it? Also legs are pale, ant it's missing the grey neck side. Also the primary projection looks too short for Garden warbler.

When fresh first winter birds are often yellowish on belly and vent. The same applies to 1cy Blackcaps.

Bill for Garden warbler is also stronger and wider. I'm sorry, but I think it's not Garden Warbler.
Actually, I would say Common Chiffchaff. Everything fits with that, even the legs that look too pale. I've seen chiffys with that colour on legs.

Bill for Garden warbler is also stronger and wider. I'm sorry, but I think it's not Garden Warbler.
Actually, I would say Common Chiffchaff. Everything fits with that, even the legs that look too pale. I've seen chiffys with that colour on legs.

The Op bird is not a Phylloscopus structure and morphometric. Chiffchaff is something else.

Omar

Your bird is a Garden Warbler. And I would be amazed quite frankly if you have ever seen any Chiffchaff with legs the same colour as your Op bird unless it was albino!

Grahame.

Last edited:
Your bird is a Garden Warbler. And I would be amazed quite frankly if you have ever seen any Chiffchaff with legs the same colour as your Op bird unless it was albino!

Grahame.

The legs look paler than they are because of the sunlight. It's a overexposed photo. But in this one you can see the real colour of the leg:

leg.jpg

So please, don't treat me like if I was stupid.

The legs look paler than they are because of the sunlight. It's a overexposed photo. But in this one you can see the real colour of the leg:

View attachment 555732

Which is also why your bird looks 'yellower' than you expect, and probably also why the grey neck patch isnt clearly defined. The bird is without doubt a Garden Warbler.

Thanks all four your help. Now I already know its a Gardel Warbler. It's always interesting to learn new things.

Cheers!!

View attachment 555732

The apparent anomalies were all artefacts of the bird being strongly backlit which PS did explain in post 6.

My comment about Common Chiffchaff leg colour still stands; though there is some variation, they are never pale, even when sunlit. It was never my intention to make you look stupid.

Grahame.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back