• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler or hemispingus? Central Peru (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi,

I've been looking at this photo from a few months ago, taken in Pasco, central Peru, about 2400 masl.
I originally had it down as a pale-legged warbler, but the bill looks quite thick, and now I'm wondering if it might not rather be an oleaginous hemispingus?
What say the experts (THE_FERN maybe)?

Many thanks as always
T

Attachments

• sdaniel.jpg
    sdaniel.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 83
Well thanks for calling me an expert: not sure how true that is...

Yes hemispingus for the reason you said, but also supercilium not bright enough for the warblers, and we can just about make out grey legs (or at least not clearly pinkish /orangish). Pale-legged would be much brighter overall and especially so underneath in comparison with this. A pretty good photo of a bird I've mostly only had poor or distant views of

Well thanks for calling me an expert: not sure how true that is...

Yes hemispingus for the reason you said, but also supercilium not bright enough for the warblers, and we can just about make out grey legs (or at least not clearly pinkish /orangish). Pale-legged would be much brighter overall and especially so underneath in comparison with this. A pretty good photo of a bird I've mostly only had poor or distant views of

Which brings me to saying that the original photo would be welcome into the gallery here in Birdforum

Niels

Nice photo, agree with Oleaginous Hemispingus.

I too have a Hemispingus that I've never seen particularly well - Three-striped. On the list to try to get a better view of if I ever get back to where it is!

Nice photo, agree with Oleaginous Hemispingus.

I too have a Hemispingus that I've never seen particularly well - Three-striped. On the list to try to get a better view of if I ever get back to where it is!

Hi Josh

We don't have any image of the Three-striped Hemispingus in the Gallery or The Opus as yet. Would you be prepared to let it sit in the article until a clearer ones come in (even if only part of the bird is visible it could prove useful)?

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of Three-striped Hemispingus to contribute - I barely saw it, much less photographed it! :)

Nutcracker - I agree it's a bit of an odd name, not the most poetic nor the most evocative but it is memorable!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back