• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler species ID help. Llivia, Girona, Spain. (1 Viewer)

Somateriafischeri

I photographed this Phylloscopus sp. near the town of Llivia, in Girona, Spain.
I initially saw the yellowish flanks and though I may have had a wood warbler in my hands, but then most other markers seem common chiffchaff. I am not very experienced with Phylloscopus sp. Help with this ID would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EFR58205.jpg
    EFR58205.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • EFR58228.jpg
    EFR58228.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 50
  • EFR58226.jpg
    EFR58226.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • EFR58224.jpg
    EFR58224.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • EFR58222.jpg
    EFR58222.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • EFR58218.jpg
    EFR58218.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
  • EFR58215.jpg
    EFR58215.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • EFR58207.jpg
    EFR58207.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • EFR58243.jpg
    EFR58243.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hello,

I agree with you its a Common/Iberian Chiffchaff.
Despite broad eye-ring (broken) Western Bonellis Warbler is excluded imo by brownish rump, lacking any greenish hue, and just visible dark smudge at the lore (and lack of bright wing panel)= too much wrong for this
Wood Warbler has a more distinct supercilum and a different shape, and should lack grey crown
Willow Warbler should have longer pp and black legs arent good. But its the hardest contender imo.

Maybe someone can comment on the difficult species pair Coomon vs Iberian Chiffchaff? Thanks!

Maybe someone can comment on the difficult species pair Coomon vs Iberian Chiffchaff? Thanks!
Well without much confidence I can try. I think it's quite a good candidate for Iberian. The stand out features are the clean quite bright white belly and some evidence of a golden breast belt (evident at the breast sides). The bill is pale based (not all dark) and legs brownish not black. The colours are pretty bright overall and there's no strong contrast between the cheek and the throat. It's a shame we can't see the wing formula well.

Iberian chiffchaff special me as looking very like a willow warbler. This one doesn't, but neither does it look like a standard chiffchaff---it's sort of intermediate

Well without much confidence I can try. I think it's quite a good candidate for Iberian. The stand out features are the clean quite bright white belly and some evidence of a golden breast belt (evident at the breast sides). The bill is pale based (not all dark) and legs brownish not black. The colours are pretty bright overall and there's no strong contrast between the cheek and the throat. It's a shame we can't see the wing formula well.

Iberian chiffchaff special me as looking very like a willow warbler. This one doesn't, but neither does it look like a standard chiffchaff---it's sort of intermediate
Thank yo all for the comments. I just realized the the back picture did not upload. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• EFR58243.jpg
    EFR58243.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
You could be right, but great if you could give your reasoning
I think this is a young bird with not yet fully defined features but as mentioned above, there are some that make me lean towards Common: broken eye ring, mostly dark bill and dark legs. I usually resort to jizz (subjective, non scientific) when dealing with greenies or brownies and in this one its face "expression" doesn´t either match for me that of a Willow or Iberian. The separation is never easy, nevertheless

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back