• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warblers in flight at cape may NJ (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

any guesses? I know these are not the easiest don't be shy please, just looking for guesses and if anyone is sure just specify! thank you! I'm not necessarily looking to identify these, just looking to learn.

1. bay-breasted?
2.?
3.blackburnian?
4. samebird as #3
5. bay-breasted?

changed my mind on 3&4 looks like cape may instead of blackburnian

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 3-4.jpg
    3-4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 3-5.jpg
    3-5.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 4-3.jpg
    4-3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
1. Not sure, but doesn't strike me as Bay-breasted, especially with that tail.
2. Possibly Northern Parula?
3&4. I don't think this is Blackburnian. Possibly Black-and-white?
5. Not sure

These are not much more than guesses:
1) Red-eyed Vireo?
2) Black-and-white Warbler
3-4) Blackburnian looks good
5) maybe Northern Parula?
Andy

These are obviously challenging, I have revised some of my initial guesses...

1. still don't know
2. probably either blackburnian or black and white, leaning towards black and white but for me photo quality leaves both of these as a possibility
3 & 4. don't know but would like to draw attention to the length of the tail in photo 4, which seems to me to eliminate black and white. I have been all over the place but best guess currently is pine warbler which would explain the streaks on the flanks, the long tail and the suggestion of an eye ring.
5. still don't know, but I like parula, here's another picture of 5

Thanks everyone for attempting to help. I enjoy the challenge and the willingness of people to hazard a guess.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 23
On second look, I agree on Black-and-white for #2. I also think that Northern Parula is a good call for #5, especially after seeing the yellow upper chest and grayish face in your latest photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back