• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers? Ottawa ON (1 Viewer)

tlukasz

I photographed these birds this morning along the Ottawa River. There were flocks of Yellow-rumped Warblers and Northern Parulas in the area. The first bird may be a Common Yellowthroat but I have no idea as to the second. Any help in IDing is appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0010R.jpg
    DSC_0010R.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0041R2.jpg
    DSC_0041R2.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 79
Agree with Kratter (although I find it very difficult to get away from thinking of it as a "classic Vermivora bill shape")

The bright edges on the wing feathers are characteristic of Yellow Warbler, and there is not even the semblance of an eyeline. Broad base to bill is better for Yellow than Tennessee IMO.

But given the uneven feather wear, can't say I'm sure one way or the other.

Last edited:
Yellow Warbler would be unusual in Ottawa this time of year. Even by the middle of September they are considered late.

bill doesnt look fine enough for TEWA to me. Plumage looks better for YEWA too, but overall structure doesnt scream YEWA. Might have to leave that one unidentified ... ;)

I'm quite sure that is a scruffy Nashville Warbler.

Clearly not a Palm, and the bill shape should eliminate Yellow (and I don't think such a yellow Yellow would ever show completely grey feathers on the crown.

There is no hint of an eye-line which Orange-crowned and Tennessee should show, and you can see the white eye-ring of a Nashville.

yes, could indeed be Nashville - bill shape is indeed good for NAWA.
Female HY yellow warbs can be significantly grey though. I suspect this bird is not conclusively IDable.

Despite the bland face pattern, can it be anything else than a Tennessee warbler with the combination of bill shape and conspicuous pale yellow tips to the greater coverts?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back