• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warm area for birding Februar or March (1 Viewer)

As well as being rather mediocre as birding destinations, aren't Goa and Gambia totally crap for snorkelling?

As well as being rather mediocre as birding destinations, aren't Goa and Gambia totally crap for snorkelling?

Probably, as for mediocre, it depends what your priorities and experience are?

Both are logfistically very easy and require little planning which sounds like a plus for the OP

A

Probably, as for mediocre, it depends what your priorities and experience are?

Both are logfistically very easy and require little planning which sounds like a plus for the OP

A
A bit harsh on Goa and Gambia.Obviously they don't suit DMW,so maybe they aren't for him.
A lot of people enjoy these two destinations especially if its their first visit to new continents and a chance of seeing some different birds.
As you say, both are convenient, which helps, if like a lot of people, they are working hard all year and just want to jet off somewhere, relax in a comfortable hotel and see some lifers without having to put in a lot of effort.

Last edited:
Surprised that it's not being reported more widely?

Found this but lets not veer off topic, maybe worthy of a thread somewhere else Nutty?

https://wwa.climatecentral.org/analyses/north-pole-nov-dec-2016/

A

Briefly as I don't want to continue off-topic: yep, shocking that it isn't being reported more. Much of this is due to the financial clout the big oil companies have in making sure it doesn't get reported. Saw a mention recently that of the 3 serious UK journalists who knew anything about the subject, two have been sacked recently.

A bit harsh on Goa and Gambia.Obviously they don't suit DMW,so maybe they aren't for him.
A lot of people enjoy these two destinations especially if its their first visit to new continents and a chance of seeing some different birds.
As you say, both are convenient, which helps, if like a lot of people, they are working hard all year and just want to jet of somewhere, relax in a comfortable hotel and see some lifers without having to put in a lot of effort.

Agree

A

The OP has quite a few requirements on his wish list so its difficult to accommodate them all.If Gambia and Goa don't meet the snorkling needs, they certainly have the beach,forest/woodland and cycling going for them.I noticed there were a lot of tracks around the woods and forests in Gambia and Goa which would require a more rough terrain type of transport like a mountain bike,so he could do some birdwatching and cycling at the same time.
The two places I mentioned in Cuba,Guardalavaca and Cayo Coco are good for all three plus snorkling too.The roads in Cuba are very quiet around these two places so you could cycle for miles.
None of them are perfect but they just some suggestions.

Thank You very much for the Information.

Maybe combination of bird watching and later beach accomodation is better ?

Snorkeling area in the Internet I found yet
Santa Lucia de Camaguey Cuba
Bocas de Toro Panama
Hanauma Bay Oahu Hawaii
Anse Soleil Seychelles ( but February is wrong time )
Bunaken Indonesia
Nakamoto Beach Japan ( but better in spring )
Dominical Costa Rica
Galapagos
Seven Miles, heritage, Rum Point Cayman Islands ( Islands seems very expensive )
Koh Nai Phut, Koh Chang, Koh Lao Liang, Koh Tao Thailand
Cumbe Island, Mnemba Island Sansibar
Bay Islands Belize
365 Cays der Exumas Bahamas
Champagne Reef Dominique
Tunku Abdul Raman Park Island reachable from Kota Kinabalu
Jan Thiel Lagune Curacao

Good spots should also have Bonaire and Grenada.

Champagne Reef Dominique
more often called Champagne Reef, Dominica (or even Champain beach, spelling is not that firmly set in stone)

There are other snorkling spots in Dominica, even though Champagne is special. Birding, look here: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Dominica

If you want to, easily combined with the other islands in the Lesser Antilles: the mountainous ones usually have birds a little more special, and also often better snorkeling.

Niels

North Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Siladen and Bunaken for tremeandous snorkeling. I've snorkeled all over and those reefs are world class.
Tangkok NP close by for very good forest birding.
If time permits you could also go to Lore Lindu NP.

Hello Marjo and all the other which give advices,

thank You very much.
Now I have to manage to get vacation.
I hope I will get additional vacation for 4 - 8 weeks ( not paid vacation ).
If I am successful, than I have got lots very good ideas from all of you.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back