• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning: Horrible customer service experience with Pentax / Ricoh (1 Viewer)

DannyLandrum

United States
Just wanted to post this warning before you spend your hard earned money. You'd be wise to never buy any Pentax or Ricoh products like I did (Pentax). Their customer service is virtually non-existent.

I bought a pair of 12x50 PCF WP II binos. The aluminum connector on the left eyepiece broke, such that it would not focus.

My extensive online research revealed only two possible places for repairs in the USA: Denver Pentax customer service / repair center, and Precision Camera in Enfield, CT. Further research revealed that the Denver center had been shut down (yet its presence not removed from the web, purporting to be a going concern). So that left only one option, Precision Camera.

I sent it to them (their website did NOT - repeat did NOT - tell me to call first to get a R.A. number - it just said mail the item in; so I did. Well, they flat out refused to do the repairs, even though they admitted they had the parts, and even though I stood ready, willing, and able to pay ANY amount necessary for their repairs and return shipping, simply because I did not have my original receipt (who keeps those?). Regardless, receipt or not, I'm willing to PAY for the repairs, so.... Went round and round on the phone; they started a ticket there at Precision, and started a ticket at Pentax as well. NO ONE from either outfit EVER contacted me back as promised, to resolve the open dispute ticket.

Two months later, they shipped them back untouched with the phrase "RETURNING UNREPAIRED" in the box called "Explanation of Repairs". No other explanation.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life, that they won't let you PAY for the repairs you need - they admitted to me on the phone that there was no other possible authorized repair center for Pentax.

Just ridiculously bad customer service. Does anyone know some outfit who might have parts for this bino, or even how to take the broken side completely off so that I can use the good side as a monocular? Thanks.

The link at https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/repairs/ sends you to https://www.precisioncamera.com/Ricoh/ There, when you select "Pentax Sport Optics" from the category pull down menu, a window pops up that informs you that you need the "Dated proof of original purchase (copy of the bill of sale or charge slip)". It then links to the repair request form here.

A bill of sale is sufficient for proof of purchase. You may be able to get a copy of that from the store where you bought your binoculars. Particularly if it was an online store. That is what I did when I needed repairs to my Pentax spotting scope.

I doubt they are overwhelmed by this kind of requests. They should have given more information, or, even better, made a move in order to uphold their reputation.

Definitely is a shame. I can see requiring th receipt for in warranty repairs but to not allow paid service is silly. Pentax is the underdog in cameras too and they often emphasize their attention to the user experience in their marketing too.

Definitely is a shame. I can see requiring th receipt for in warranty repairs but to not allow paid service is silly. Pentax is the underdog in cameras too and they often emphasize their attention to the user experience in their marketing too.
Absolutely. I can see absolutely no justification for this. Even from a business perspective it's just leaving money on the table.

The link at https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/repairs/ sends you to https://www.precisioncamera.com/Ricoh/ There, when you select "Pentax Sport Optics" from the category pull down menu, a window pops up that informs you that you need the "Dated proof of original purchase (copy of the bill of sale or charge slip)". It then links to the repair request form here.

A bill of sale is sufficient for proof of purchase. You may be able to get a copy of that from the store where you bought your binoculars. Particularly if it was an online store. That is what I did when I needed repairs to my Pentax spotting scope.
In these situations I’ve had luck getting a copy of the credit transaction from the credit card company or PayPal - if you go deeply enough with them they have pretty detailed records of the transactions they financed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back