• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warranty issues at Zeiss (1 Viewer)

arran

Hi all ,

As quite some people in this forum , we are all eagerly following new products and developments.
During al those years birdatxhing , I realized that after sales service is very important too.
Let us consider the warranty of zeiss optics products which wer explained to me by a respected optics distributor.
<5 years : full warranty on hours and pieces
After 5 years : only warranty on the pieces!this exactly what frightens me at Zeiss , knowing , that a normal repair cost is about 70% hours cost
After 10 years,no warranty at all.you pay the complete work on your behalf!!
To give you an example , a friend of mine has been using an old zeiss dialiyth telescope in the field , recently oily drops were seen in the ocular eyepiece and in the barrel , some prismes are getting loose.Great care has been taken always.
Zeiss made a price offer to repair : 1850 €
Sorry guys , but then you buy a new one!!!
Comparing this with Swarovski , this an other cup of tea
Even smaller companies , like Kite Optics , offer 30 years full guarantee with no cost at all for working hours.
This seriously makes me think about buying a new SF
I am using my gear with great care, but sometimes , thinks go wrong , e.g. The focus drive of the swaros , but replaced and replaced for free!!
Beware before you buy!!!!

In Canada, Zeiss will fix any Zeiss bin for free, even 2nd and 3rd party, even 40 or 50 years old.

Too bad it [seems?] so much worse in Europe, although I don't think that's really the case. There are many reports from Euro owners of great service, without all the added costs that you mention. I really can't think of any reports where Zeiss has charged for repairs that would be considered warranty. I'm sure Jan could fill us in...

Last edited:
OK, this needs some explaining.

Since June 2014 does Zeiss the distribution in Holland and Belgium.
Before that period is was Technolyt, who did this. An employee of Technolyt was Wim de Boer, who did most of the repairs of the Zeiss optics. In all the years I never saw a bill for repair work from Technolyt.
The Zeiss reps from Germany told me that they are going to implement the same level of after sales which Swarovski offers for decades. So no fear here!!
Reading Arran's story........ Time will tell. One thing is for sure: a prism doesn't come loose spontaniously.

It is a fact that with the launch of the HT and SF, Zeiss has the same products as Swarovski offers with the SLC and SV, so the after sales will be a very important argument for the customer.
I can't imagine Zeiss would screw up here.

Jan

A recent conversation with a representative of the binocular shop of the Dutch Bird Protection Society did not supply me with optimistic sounds of the service level and repair polices/prices by Zeiss recently: very expensive and long repair times, but never give up hope.
Gijs

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back