• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Washington DC, United States - Stumped (large perching bird) (1 Viewer)

sjs20016

United States
This morning spotted a pair of very large birds perched at the very top a pine tree. I've never seen birds like this.

They were quite large - somewhere around the size of a northern goshawk or red-tailed hawk.

What has stumped me is the markings. Highly speckled, dark, very much like a European starling (I know starlings, and this was definitely not a starling. Way way too big to be a starling), and it did not have a raptor beak. They had black or brown beaks, with a beak shape very much like a sapsucker.

One of the brids had a slight shimmer of green iridescence at the top of the breast. The other's coloring was more muted. Both were highly speckled. They arrived and departed as a pair.

I know these markings sound a lot like starling, but like I said, it was huge and no way they could be starlings.

These birds looks so unusual I almost wondered if they escaped from the zoo (we live about 2 miles from a zoo).

Any help identifying the birds would be appreciated! Unfortunately, I have no photos.
Thanks
Steve

They were quite large - somewhere around the size of a northern goshawk or red-tailed hawk.
Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable. And - if they were dark, speckled paler (I guess this is what you mean), with a vaguely woodpecker-like bill - then... I do suspect that you overestimated the size quite substantially. We've all done it. No offence.

Last edited:
Judging the size of alone bird is notoriously unreliable. And - if they were dark, speckled paler (I guess this is what you mean), with a vaguely woodpecker-like bill - then... I do suspect that you overestimated the size quite substantially. We've all done it. No offence.
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Maybe it was something with the binoculars and the angle and very narrow tip of the tree top - I can completely accept that I overestimated the size!

The easiest explanation would definitely be European starlings!

Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back